Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Aston Martin’s 510-h.p. supercar surprisingly easy to handle

By Dave Makichuk, Calgary Herald

“Be careful going down the curb, the front spoiler costs about $10,000.”

The words from the Aston Martin rep reverberated in my brain, leaving a distinct impression, as he handed me the Emotion Control Unit — essentially the keys to a brand new lightning silver $325,000 Aston Martin DBS Volante roadster.

I couldn’t help but be reminded of a similar scene which had played out on the big screen several times from my youth to present day: “Try to bring it back in one piece 007,” an exasperated Q warns James Bond.

All to no avail of course. More often than not, the car got trashed, but usually for a good cause — saving the world and so forth.

But on this day, we won’t be chasing any bad guys on darkened, twisty roads, in a desperate search for a kidnapped British agent, or banging doors at high speed along twisty tunnels lining the shore of Lake Como.

In fact, I showed up at the North American Volante’s launch in Calgary, hosted by Aston Martin of Calgary and the Dilawri Group, with a passenger — fellow auto aficionado and longtime buddy JR — to play the part of co-driver.

As well as offering his impressions of the vehicle, he would more importantly act as my second set of eyes on Calgary’s precarious, construction-strewn roads, warning me in advance, I hoped, of any unseen dangers that came our way.

Aston Martin rep Lawrence Romanosky gave us a quick pre-flight rundown as we circled the DBS Volante, which sat unassumingly outside the dealership in Glendeer Circle.

We learned that this particular roadster was the 16th convertible model produced in the company’s 95-year history.

Romanosky rattled off a litany of impressive specs: an all-aluminum frame with carbon fibre trims; 510-horsepower V-12 engine capable of 0 to 100 km/h in 4.3 seconds; Touchtronic 2 six-speed gearbox with shift-by-wire; 1,000 watt Bang and Olufsen BeoSound DBS stereo system; Dynamic Stability Control; Servotronic speed-sensitive steering; Pirelli P Zeros front and back, etc., etc. . . .

More: http://www.calgaryherald.com/Aston+Martin+supercar+surprisingly+easy+handle/1935905/story.html

Offline maccattack

"essentially the keys to a brand new lightning silver $325,000 Aston Martin DBS Volante roadster."

Nice if it was $325,000 out here  :eek:

Offline Jamezilla

• Drives: BMWs for everyone!
  • Name: James
It will be a week after you leave the showroom ;)

Offline maccattack

Offline fivesix

Oh how true  :D

Great lines even with the top down...  :thumbsup:

Peter, curious but do you have plates on your aston? I probably have seen it around and Im curious...  :scratchchin:

Offline maccattack

Ryan

PRM001 white on black -  the car is a gunmetal grey.

Peter

Offline fivesix

i think i may have seen it around! will wave when i spot you!  :thumbsup:

Offline maccattack

Ryan - what are you driving - I'll keep an eye out  :thumbsup:

Offline jim501

• Idiot Seeking Village

• Name: Cam
Peter is you PM me your email address I can add you to our Brisbane run list as well! Our regular Vantage hasn't shown up for the last couple of runs

Offline maccattack