Offline stevemacf

Hi Folks, from a newbie poster,

Have just taken the plunge and bought an '01 Vanquish from the UK. It hits the docks in Sydney next month.

I've read various opinions on the flappy-paddle gearbox that range from "Bloody awful" (Clarkson) to "reasonably impressed" (Edmunds.com).

What I've not managed to find online is any guide to using the automated manual 'box in the Vanquish. I understand that each manufacturer's variant of an automated manual is basically unique, so learning how to drive e.g. a Honda flappy-paddle box will not set me up for the AM.

I've read that original owners were given a one-day course in how to drive the damn things as part of the sale.

Has anyone driven a Vanquish, who could provide advice, or direct me to any useful online resource?

1998 Jaguar XKR
2005 Mercedes SLK 350 (hated it!)
2004 Nissan 350z Track
2003 Nissan 350Z Touring
1997 Nissan 200sx
1988 Honda Prelude
1976 Holden Kingswood HJ

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
Never driven a Vanguish; but I have owned plenty of paddle pop cars from different manufacturers.
As long as you have never driven a recent model, or worse still, a twin clutch PDK you probably will be happy enough.
I find the old technology really slow and frustrating compared to the current stuff. I can only go by what I have read; but the Vanquish was never thought to have the best set up, even in period. Interestingly enough, Aston themselves offered a very expensive manual box conversion on the Vanquish about mid production. Doesn't instill much confidence in how good the paddle pop must be.
Some of the earlier stuff could be helped along by easing off the throttle ever so slightly as you changed gear. In others it just confused them and you were better off letting the computers sort it out. In current stuff you just keep the throttle nailed and flippy flap away. Just experiment and you will quickly work out what's best.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
The '09 DBS Volante paddlepop box was pretty awful for the hour I drove it, couldn't get used to it, felt like playing a video game with lag. :?

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
Clarkson is right, as almost always.

BUT, it all depends where your benchmark is.

In a Vanquish... IF ITS WORKING PROPERLY..... it's quite drivable. I havent driven one, but I know people that have and they have also owned F1 shift ferraris.

They got out of the Vanquish, and thought a 360 was good....

Both in terms of operation and reliability :tilt:

I think 360's are pretty average, and would MUCH rather have a manual 360, but in 430, it's flappy flip flop all the way... and it's really only software/firmware thats any different, the gearbox itself is almost the same inside.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

I think 360's are pretty average, and would MUCH rather have a manual 360, but in 430, it's flappy flip flop all the way... and it's really only software/firmware thats any different, the gearbox itself is almost the same inside.

Man we are so screwed when we start getting hit by random EMPs!!!!!! 

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession

Man we are so screwed when we start getting hit by random EMPs!!!!!!

hehehe, yeah.....

( I have no idea what an EMP is  :confused: )

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al
hehehe, yeah.....

( I have no idea what an EMP is  :confused: )

Electro Magentic Penis.

Mondi's primary weapon of attack against electronics.
C'mon, do it!

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Electro Magentic Penis.

Mondi's primary weapon of attack against electronics.

I've got a 5" floppy.

Offline lambor

• Name: Paul Placzek
I have driven many Aston Martin Vanquish cars and I also repaired many of broken gear boxes. Vanquish gear box is Tremec T56 like in Ford XR8 and was never designed for hydraulic gear change actuator, Ferrari and Lamborghini use Graziano gear boxes with tripple synchromesh hubs to take abuse from actuator.
Vanquish will have striped synchromesh teeth by 20 000kms if clutch last that long. Price of new gear box is AU$ 20 000.00+GST (for Tremec???) or Aston Martin dealers in UK can convert car to full manual as in Vanquish S for about 38 000.00 Pounds and you have to get your car to them over there

Offline Mario

• Name: Polish Doctor
Geez that sounds like an expensive repair  :waah:

Mario :D :)