Offline app

Legally I believe they are allowed to CLAIM THE LANE! Cyclists are asked to ride in the center of the lane! its their right!
The reason why they dont ride on a bike path is because you loose all momentum when riding, much like getting stuck behind a group ride in the Adelaide hills.

I think you have Adelaide to thank for the laws as well when that drunken Lawyer hit and killed a cyclist on the road they changed many laws because of it.

I'm not exactly sure what the law is, I think you are right though, they can ride anywhere they like. It's quite ironic, the one who doesn't pay to use the road gets to "Claim the lane". I really do believe this is the reason why we have too many cycling accidents. I see far too many cyclists taking on cars and doing so many stupid things. I really think it all comes down to the attitude of cyclists in general. I think ignorant and arrogant sums it up pretty well. I know some people are not going to like that, but it's true so many ride around refusing to acknowledge other cars are there and act like they own the road and show no courtesy.

I'm not sure what you mean by losing momentum riding in the bike lane?? It's the same as riding on the road, the only thing that is different is that they don't piss drivers off :p.

It makes sense to make a law that requires cyclists to ride as near as practical to the left so you don't cause cars to bank up. I don't see it happening anytime soon :mad:.

I really think that the government need to create bike lanes attached but separate from the roads in the Adelaide Hills because the roads are too narrow and they always refuse to pull over to the left to let all the cars past. The pic on the second page of this thread shows it very well, I see that happening too frequently.

Offline CortinaD

I had some nitwit pull out from a side road, full tilt, without even looking this morning and I had to steer to avoid him. I really felt like moving accross on him and putting him into the pavement.

Seems to be a regular occurrence and they don't seem to care.

Offline Gooch

Certainly is a sore point with lots of people,

Considering that the demographic for road riding now has been moved to the 30-50 age group and most come from professional backgrounds, business owners, boardroom junkies etc. These type of people are usually all about them! Hence why they act like W...s on the road and have no issue "Claiming the Lane"

The regular golf crowd has moved to the cycling arena. They say that one hour on the bike is worth 1 hour talking shop at the local Cafe. And you can all match up how many body fat rolls you can count through the Lycra you wear! LOL!

Bike lanes are stop and start with pavement too thin to really get some speed around corners or bumpy or curbs to negotiate to make it any good hence why the road is used.

I ride! I love riding however Iam not a toss the reason why you "Claim the lane" is because if you didn't most Tosser drivers would run you into the gutter anyway even if you are riding in it.

Like in anything, You get W.....s everywhere. And for the guy that rode out infront of the car today he may of misjudged or didn't look properly as he was going into the intersection  this can happen with cars as well, "Would you of managed to steer around a car if it had done the same thing" I guess not.

But it still sh..s me when you have a great mountain pass like  you get in Adelaide and you get held up by half a dozen riders its just not fair! There should be a rule against it!

Lets start a partician!!! rofl!
Timed access for bike riders on Roads! So Adelaide hills can only have riders on it from 10 am to 1400.

What do you reckon I will sign the partician!

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
Legally I believe they are allowed to CLAIM THE LANE!

Yep, but as a wise man once said...  There's no point being right and dead.

Offline app

That's the best thing I've heard all week!! All we need is an ad on tv to send the cyclists that believe just because they have the right it's the best thing to do, the message above.

Your post deserves a thanks :thumbsup:.

Very wise indeed!!

Offline Gooch

Gotta admitt good call!

Rofl!! :thumbsup:

Offline dkabab

hes right... but is he dead?

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Dunno - I remember in '98 had an impasse with the gf where I was 100% documentably correct, but being whipped I relented - we had good times then she asked me why I changed my mind...

I said "I didn't change my mind, I just figgered it's better to be not right than be left."

After which I was trampled, chewed, spit, and rent asunder.  Ah - stupidity of youth! :tilt:

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
hes right... but is he dead?

Definitely not dead, so it's my new sig.  :)

Offline dutchie34

I'm fairly sure that the SA law states 'that a cyclist is to stay as practical to the left of the lane, unless its 2 or more cyclists, which they then can occupy the whole lane'  :confused:  : which sounds good to me, 2 for the price of 1.   :scratchchin:

If u want 2 ride on the road, get a motorbike, if u still want 2 ride a pushie, go dirt downhill. :irked: