Offline leburpor

• Loves Tom Cruise

So I was driving someone's BMW 550i today at the Mallala race track, and you know what? It is a fantastic car for it's class  :thumbsup:

The owner was generous enough to let me go for about 55 laps around the track and its performance did not falter. It's a shame that in the excitement of driving on the track, i forgot about the stop watch and didn't time myself  :waah:

Anyway, overall I was impressed with the car. Bear in mind that it is a medium size family sedan and I could not keep up with the Super Porsche's that were out there today. However, I thought I did well against the M3, Skylines, VW RS2, AM DB9  :D

Top speed was 195kmh according to my HUD, down the back section. I reckon I could have gotten it higher if I was not concerned with the ability of the brakes to stop the car fast enough.

I was also concerned about brake fade, but the standard brakes of the BMW did really really well. However, the pads are chewed up. I started the day with the compe telling me I had 22,000km to go before needed new front brakes. When I was done, I had 4,000km left  :faint:

I really felt the size of the car at the tight turns. There was much screeching but the car held her line. Towards the later part of the day, I turned the traction control off but left the stability control on and that made a huge difference. The car performed awesomely, for a med sized sedan. Under steering was an issue, but by just entering the turns slower I easily removed much of that and with the low end torque this car had, it wasn't a problem.

I was really happy to have experienced what the 550i can do on a track. However, after today I realize I belong in a sportier 2 door car....and an M3 ain't gonna cut it....

What a day....I love the 550i...but somewhere out there, there's a 2 door hot vixen with my name on it... :gnasher: :mischief:

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

yeah... get the M3CSL from Scott... 360C...

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
yeah... get the M3CSL from Scott... 360C...

+1

I don't understand why you persist with these taxis.

Take a proper sportscar for an actual drive - the BMW is great in every way, but pales in comparison on a fun level, and let's face it, that's what we're here for.

Offline leburpor

• Loves Tom Cruise

+1

I don't understand why you persist with these taxis.

Take a proper sportscar for an actual drive - the BMW is great in every way, but pales in comparison on a fun level, and let's face it, that's what we're here for.

I'm confused, you state the BMW pales in comparison on a fun level, yet you support PP's suggestion for 360C's BMW M3 CSL??  :confused:

Anyhow, I persist with these taxis as I need a family car. With a limited budget, I need to find the best balance between sports car and family car...

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I was really happy to have experienced what the 550i can do on a track. However, after today I realize I belong in a sportier 2 door car....and an M3 ain't gonna cut it....

What a day....I love the 550i...but somewhere out there, there's a 2 door hot vixen with my name on it... :gnasher: :mischief:

Don't be too hard on the 550i - plenty of cars that feel quite sporty on the road don't cut it at the track.

Sounds like you drove the wheels of it today, which is good.  That's a lot of laps - I'm not surprised the brakes are feeling it. :)

Offline leburpor

• Loves Tom Cruise

Sounds like you drove the wheels of it today, which is good.  That's a lot of laps - I'm not surprised the brakes are feeling it. :)

Heheh...that I did..I'm still reminiscing about it now...it was a blast of a day. Well organized, good company and good pace. We were there from 7.30am till 4pm  :faint:

Had a ride in the DB9. What a gorgeous car! And the sound was sweet! Handling was not as impressive as I had thought it would be.

Also had a ride in the VW R32. After showing the owner the lines that I use he drove it with more confidence and the car handled the track really well.

The widow maker 996 GT2 was a sight to watch. So much power and no traction control... :eek: beautiful sound.

The day finished with two brothers hammering it out...997 GT3 vs 997 TT...the sounds and scenes were quite memorable. The 997 TT at high speed really sounds like a jet fighter as it zooms past...GT3 won the day :D

Waiting for some vids and pics of me car at turn 1 and 2... :D

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
I'm confused, you state the BMW pales in comparison on a fun level, yet you support PP's suggestion for 360C's BMW M3 CSL??  :confused:

Anyhow, I persist with these taxis as I need a family car. With a limited budget, I need to find the best balance between sports car and family car...

I've been in a whole bunch of "M" cars, here's the thing, they go really really quick - but they're nowhere near what you'd call fun.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

, yet you support PP's suggestion for 360C's BMW M3 CSL??  :confused:

ouch, cuts like a knife or what....

PP.... PFFFT!

Offline SiFi

• Navigator/Serial Killer

I've been in a whole bunch of "M" cars, here's the thing, they go really really quick - but they're nowhere near what you'd call fun.

Is that likely because the "normal" M cars have to be engineered to handle a wider range of driver inputs, as they are sort of an entry level supercar (for want of a better term!) from those who can afford to buy them but can't drive, to those who can push the envelope and exploit the full potential of the car.

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Electric everything
  • Name: Peter
ouch, cuts like a knife or what....

PP.... PFFFT!

i was quite offended too!

I love my car. Buy your own