Offline NickS

Hi all,

I am based in Adelaide and am currently looking for a used E60 M5 as a possible next car.

I am a realist and know that by buying an M5 I will be up for big bucks from time to time but I am only 27 and have a house to pay off and a nagging girlfriend who wants me to pop the question so I am trying to budget effectively. But with this global financial crisis and the terrible BMW depreciation - now is the time to buy a V10 M5 for a bargain as they are sticking big time.

Now...I have noticed that there are quite a few that are sticking which have around the 47-49,000kms on the clock.

I am wondering if there are any really nasty services that cost $10k or something at 50,000kms as it seems coincidental that a lot of people are selling them just before they hit this.

Also - do any of you M5 owners know of any nasty and expensive faults that these cars have at any point? Is there anything I should look out for such as how often Launch Control was used etc?

The other cars I am considering are a 997 carerra, 996 twin turbo or GT3 or a Mercedes C63 (all used with low km). All very different I know! I just think that for the money the M5 will bring all of the excitement I need and the practicality of the 4 door definitely is a plus.

At the moment I have an SLK which costs me nothing and never misses a beat - and the daily driver is a new smart car which I intend to still use during the week. Both are 2 seaters though which does take its toll on me!

Thanks for the heads ups in advance - I will keep looking through the forums with the search function.

Nick

Offline Iggy_Type_R

I think a C63 will be a much more enjoyable car! I own a SLK55 myself and it's awesome fun! :)

The only thing that is an advantage with the m5 vs c63 is of course depretiation... the M5 already got hit hard (can get one for $120-130k) and the C63 hasn't as yet.

Offline NickS

I think a C63 will be a much more enjoyable car! I own a SLK55 myself and it's awesome fun! :)

The only thing that is an advantage with the m5 vs c63 is of course depretiation... the M5 already got hit hard (can get one for $120-130k) and the C63 hasn't as yet.

Agreed in all ways. I also forgot that the SLK55 is on my shortlist. Whilst it is still 2 seater I need to consider one of them.

There is currently a black M5 though that is for sale interstate for $125k - and the owner is willing to talk under 110k as it has been for sale for 4 months!

Offline dkabab

Offline NickS

what about an audi s5 or the new RS5

Without offending anyone I haven't ever been a massive fan of Audis. Respectful - YES! Potential buyer - not at this stage :)

Offline CortinaD

Hey Nick.

Long time dude.

You can get about 40 launch controls out of them before they need clutches.

All I would do is get the VIN number and give bmw a call (with the owners approval) and look up the service history of the car. They will tell you what its been in for etc etc. Could give you an indication if they are trying to offload a lemon.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

Agreed in all ways. I also forgot that the SLK55 is on my shortlist. Whilst it is still 2 seater I need to consider one of them.

There is currently a black M5 though that is for sale interstate for $125k - and the owner is willing to talk under 110k as it has been for sale for 4 months!

So, you're just after a toy car for fun...

You could buy a Ferrari... 328, 348, possibly even a scruffy 355 for that....

And further depreciation would be even less than the BMW.

Just a thought.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I am based in Adelaide and am currently looking for a used E60 M5 as a possible next car.

Only a handful of regular posters here have ever driven an M5.  Your questions will be better answered here...

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/

Offline Iggy_Type_R

Only a handful of regular posters here have ever driven an M5.  Your questions will be better answered here...

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/

True true. You have one right Mark?

I've driven one at Easten Creek only... it was fun.... and quick! But for day to day use, I Just love the AMG torque and sound. I've got a 650 Cab and the quality is amazing... better than an AMG to be honest... but it's really about driving them back to back and seeing which one tickles your fancy the most. Both will be a LOT OF FUN! :)

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

True true. You have one right Mark?

I've driven one at Easten Creek only... it was fun.... and quick! But for day to day use, I Just love the AMG torque and sound. I've got a 650 Cab and the quality is amazing... better than an AMG to be honest... but it's really about driving them back to back and seeing which one tickles your fancy the most. Both will be a LOT OF FUN! :)

Had one but traded it on an AMG.  One reason a lot are on the market is that the first deliveries are now coming out of 3 year leases.  As soon as the first pics of the the E60 replacement shape appear early in 09, the current M5 will drop further, so timing is key.

I fell out of love with my M5 due to the SMG which doesn't like town use.  No denying that it is a mighty car though.