Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
From next week, $145k - only 25kg heavier and 0.1 sec slower to 100 than the coupe, and not as ugly as the M5, now where's my affiliate link... :D

http://bmw.com.au/scripts/main.asp?PageID=11768&ModelID=1000141&ModelCategoryID=18

The BMW M3 Sedan.
One look at the BMW M3 Sedan reveals all: here is a perfect blend of sports car and sedan. That muscular front end with its large air vents and prominent powerdome. The wind tunnel-honed exterior mirrors. The four chromed tailpipes and wider rear track. It's an exterior that promises exhilarating performance - combined with four-door practicality.

Thanks to intelligent aerodynamics, the BMW M3 Sedan not only slices effortlessly through the air, but also channels it to where it's needed most. The intake hole next to the powerdome feeds air directly to the V8 high-rev engine. The side vents in the front apron help to cool the engine and transmission oil. And the aerodynamic wing mirrors and rear diffusor both contribute to the car's exhilarating dynamics.

Power all the way to the redline - the BMW M3 Sedan's V8 high-rev engine has genuine race-car character. Every component has been carefully optimised to maximise output and engine speed. The result? 420 hp, up to 8,300 rpm, and 400 Nm of torque at 3,900 rpm. And that's not all: the individual throttle butterflies and engine management system ensure the engine responds rapidly to driver inputs, translating every touch of the right pedal into instant acceleration.

The BMW M3 Sedan offers ultra-fast, ultra-precise shifts every time. Its 6-speed manual gearbox ensures optimum transmission of engine power throughout the rev range, resulting in smooth acceleration on demand. Even downshifts are a pleasure - especially when followed by a bend. A redesigned, more lightweight, ventilated clutch makes for improved heat dissipation.

2008 BMW M3 sedan launched

Backed by astounding demand, BMW has introduced a four-door version of its M3 into the Australian market for the first time.

Joining the BMW Coupe and Convertible, the new E92 BMW M3 sedan offers the same raw performance as its siblings with the practicality of a full size sedan.

It is powered by the same 4.0-litre V8 engine that develops 309kw and 400Nm with a screaming red line at 8400rpm.

In manual guise, the BMW M3 sedan sprints from 0 to 100km/h in just 4.9 seconds, or just 4.7 seconds when optioned with the seven-speed M double-clutch transmission - merely an 0.1 second handicap over the coupe.

Fuel consumption remains at a frugal 12.4 litres per 100km for the manual and just 11.9 litres per 100kms for the M DCT - a true testament to this remarkable engine.

This will mark the first time an M3 sedan has been sold in Australia, with no sedan model for the previous E46 generation model range, and in the E36 generation, only Coupé and Convertible versions of the M3 were sold locally.

The M3 sedan rides on special M 18-inch light alloy wheels shod with 245/40 front and 265/40 ZR 18 tyres, while 19-inch light alloy wheels are optional, fitted with 245/35 front and 265/35 ZR 19 tyres.

Luxury features such as satellite navigation with an 8.8-inch full colour monitor, TV, Voice Recognition, Bluetooth mobile connection, LOGIC7 HIFI system, Adaptive bi-Xenon headlights, leather upholstery, powered and heated M Sport seats with memory functions, and backrest width adjustment and lumbar support are all standard.

The M3 sedan also boasts Brake Energy Regeneration technology which collects energy on overrun or under braking to charge the battery, allowing the absolute maximum engine power be delivered to acceleration rather than being diverted to power electrical systems.

The new BMW M3 sedan will go on sale from November 22nd, priced from $145,000 plus dealer delivery and statutory charges.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/18950/2008-bmw-m3-saloon-launched

Offline M500

A mini-M5.

Not sure if I agree that is is "not as ugly as the M5"

Offline CortinaD

Me neither, the rear looks terrible on the 3 series sedans.

Offline app

Looks okay, but the 3-series is still as good looking as a Datsun. Good to see that they managed to distinguish it a bit from the rest of the 3-series. M5 on the other hand, until this latest model, I never had any trouble distinguishing the M5 from the rest of the 5-series. The latest looks so similar to the the rest of them. It's so annoying. Even with the amazing performance you'd think they'd make it look more distinguishable for the extra money you have to spend on it.

Offline CortinaD

Looks okay, but the 3-series is still as good looking as a Datsun. Good to see that they managed to distinguish it a bit from the rest of the 3-series. M5 on the other hand, until this latest model, I never had any trouble distinguishing the M5 from the rest of the 5-series. The latest looks so similar to the the rest of them. It's so annoying. Even with the amazing performance you'd think they'd make it look more distinguishable for the extra money you have to spend on it.

I like the idea they are only subtly different. Stops people gawking at the car etc.

It took my woman 2 weeks to realise I had bought the M3 because it looks the same to her as what my old 330i did.

Offline app

I like the idea they are only subtly different. Stops people gawking at the car etc.

It took my woman 2 weeks to realise I had bought the M3 because it looks the same to her as what my old 330i did.

Hope it was the 330 coupe not the sedan that she couldn't distinguish from the M3 :p.

I agree with you. If I owned an M3 or and M5 or an AMG I would probably take all the badges of and leave only the BMW or Merc badge so that it looks subtle but better than the rest of the range. However, it's just that while I agree that the increase in performance is much greater, it just think for so much more money, you kinda would think it would be a bit more different.

Offline app

It just occurred to me the M3 is a lot more distinguishable to the rest of the 3 coupe range.