Offline leburpor

• Loves Tom Cruise

So I test drove the new M3 today. I really enjoyed driving the little beast. Despite being a manual, and me being an novice with the stick, it was easy to handle. The clutch pedal position and length was quite ideal and comfortable. However, my work shoes still brushed slightly against the brakes. It had nice low end torque and even better mid range torque. Couldn't do much more as the car had not been ran it.

Handling through 'Eagle on the Hill' was firm and smooth, as expected. Steering response was not as sharp as I was expecting and felt similar to the 5-series. Body roll was reasonable and I think my 550i with the Eibach springs and H&R sway bars provide a firmer ride.

It is a comfortable car, even for my size. By switching the POWER button off it makes the gear change smoother, but it wasn't an issue for me even with the POWER button on.

I was initially very impressed with its power and handling...then I got back into my car. Yes, mine is bigger ( :mischief:) and of lesser kW's, but I felt like mine held to the road as well, if not better than the M3. So, I began wondering if the M3 is going to offer a big enough difference for me to enjoy? The other concern I have is with the new BMW dual clutch auto tranny. 1st gen car tech have been notorious so will I be game enough to risk it?

I spec'd the car up as White body with black leather and with the options of carbon fibre roof, 19" wheels, upgraded sound system and extended leather. The price came up to $187k on road. They think they can get it delivered by June/July 08.  :scratchchin:

Am I tempted? Most definitely..... :scratchchin:...i think....

Pics below..and there's a short vid of the exhaust sound...nice note IMHO..

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Sounds like a good car - to be expected - but to consider burning $200k on something that didn't really do much for you... :faint:

Have you got any other test drives lined up?  What about an Aston - you might find the intoxicating sound, drop-dead looks and lush surrounds more than makes up for a bit of sportiness.

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Smart ForTwo
  • Name: Peter
you can buy a good GT4 for only $120k!....and sit 4 comfortably. :)

i've heard an M3 gunning past me from about 40-80....sounded very nice

Offline OzCarSightings

• Will eat your baby
  • Photographer

• Drives: Golf R32
  • www: JanGlovac.com

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Nice review.  I wouldn't worry too much about the reliabilty of the MDCT gearbox.  They've taken so long to launch it they should have ironed all bugs out by now.  I reckon it will be even better than VW/Audi's DSG. 

Good colour choice too.  :)

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
you can buy a good GT4 for only $120k!....and sit 4 comfortably. :)

ha ha, yes, providing two of them are amputees (leg), dwarfs or under 6 years old, and you don't mind paying 50% too much for stuff..

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Smart ForTwo
  • Name: Peter
ha ha, yes, providing two of them are amputees (leg), dwarfs or under 6 years old, and you don't mind paying 50% too much for stuff..

50%? clearly that's with your trade discount.

Offline leburpor

• Loves Tom Cruise

Sounds like a good car - to be expected - but to consider burning $200k on something that didn't really do much for you... :faint:

Have you got any other test drives lined up?  What about an Aston - you might find the intoxicating sound, drop-dead looks and lush surrounds more than makes up for a bit of sportiness.

It did a fair bit for me..but I do have doubts. I've been thinking about it all day! :tilt:

After hearing YSS's comments about the car and reading several reviews on the Aston, I don't think I'll be going there. It does sound sweet though.

Offline leburpor

• Loves Tom Cruise

Nice review.  I wouldn't worry too much about the reliabilty of the MDCT gearbox.  They've taken so long to launch it they should have ironed all bugs out by now.  I reckon it will be even better than VW/Audi's DSG. 

Good colour choice too.  :)

Thanks Mark. I need to find more internet info on the new DCT. The guys at the dealership believe it'll make the car faster than the manual... :scratchchin:

White body, black carbon fibre roof and I'll paint the wheels black too....oooo mama!  :mischief:

Offline SiFi

• Navigator/Serial Killer

Sounds like a good car - to be expected - but to consider burning $200k on something that didn't really do much for you...

It seems to be a common thing with a lot of recent cars, you read the road tests on release, they say "yeah, its good, but the old model was more focussed......". Then about six to twelve months later the manufacturer comes out with what the punters originally wanted, and the development/model change rollercoaster starts all over again....