Offline TJB

Given the success of the Tesla Model S, there are rumours that BMW are plotting an alternative model, the i5. Based on the 5-Series with cues from the i8, this render has surfaced recently. It's supposed to come in two forms, electric-only and plug-in hybrid.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1142638
http://www.automobilemag.com/features/magazine/1508-the-bmw-i5-prepares-to-take-on-teslas-model-s/
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2017-bmw-i5-rendered-news
http://gas2.org/2015/04/23/why-the-bmw-i5-is-absolutely-a-tesla-model-s-competitor/

Offline andecorp

• Biggest daddy in the park 300kph+ club
  • No idea how to make her happy!

• Drives: too many cars for one ass
Now that is a cool everydayer. Looks more resolved than the i8.
You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot.

Online looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
yes a big improvement over the I8

Online Fil-Ski

• Drives: 993TT
Wow. Could this be a real competitor to the Tesla?

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

It's a drawing. The car doesn't exist yet.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Boom tish  :D

Online looney

But if it did exist and weren't too ugly they would sell heaps of them and give tesla a bit of a shake up that's for sure

Offline JBO

• Drives: Something that doesn't meet my aspirations...yet...
This is the problem with Tesla as I see it (and don't get me wrong I like what they're doing) but basically when the big players with bottomless pits of money come to market with their electric sedan competitors (VW group and sub brands like Porsche, Audi, and VW themselves, plus other giants like BMW and Mercedes) it's going to get tough for Telsa, particularly if they can't deliver vehicles on time...

This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you. - C Montgomery Burns.

Online looney

This is the problem with Tesla as I see it (and don't get me wrong I like what they're doing) but basically when the big players with bottomless pits of money come to market with their electric sedan competitors (VW group and sub brands like Porsche, Audi, and VW themselves, plus other giants like BMW and Mercedes) it's going to get tough for Telsa, particularly if they can't deliver vehicles on time...

Unfortunately I have to agree with you. I really want to see Tesla succeed, but the reality is, they have been on the bleeding edge and have been instrumental in driving change, only to let the more established manufacturers jump on at a later stage.   But hopefully the car industry's arrogance and unwillingness to listen to what consumers really want will see them sit on their hands for a few more years to allow Tesla to strengthen their business to withstand it.

I would buy a Fiat 500e in the blink of an eye if it were available,  yet Fiat openly admit they don't want to build it and have only done so under duress of the us regulations.

Online Fil-Ski

• Drives: 993TT
Tesla can't scale - yet. They are just lucky that other automakers have been so slow in playing catch up.

If BMW launched an i5 similar to the above images with a comparable price and performance I think Tesla would be in a world of trouble.