Offline 360c

• Drug Dealer

The only thing that will age a CSL is the SMG gearbox. Technology has moved on big time and I have a feeling it will feel prehistoric now, let alone in 10 years time.
BTW, the engine noise on these is insane. Just awesome!

Offline hummel

The only thing that will age a CSL is the SMG gearbox. Technology has moved on big time and I have a feeling it will feel prehistoric now, let alone in 10 years time.
BTW, the engine noise on these is insane. Just awesome!

Does a plain 'ol E46 M3 compete at all? Or are we talking night and day? Surely an aftermarket exhaust would sound just as good as the CSL.

And for the record... I adore the CSL !

Offline CortinaD

Does a plain 'ol E46 M3 compete at all? Or are we talking night and day? Surely an aftermarket exhaust would sound just as good as the CSL.

I haven't been in one but from outside the intake noise is night and day.

Offline 360c

• Drug Dealer

You can't make a normal E46 sound like a CSL. The noise is on the intake side, not the exhaust side. The CSL has the massive airbox and twice the computing power in a different engine ECU. Pretty much everything on the intake side is different on a CSL.

Offline hummel

Ok so it's the intake noise.. defiantly hard to replicate that.

I still think the E46 M3s are good buying but the interior is starting to look a little dated...

Offline 360c

• Drug Dealer

Ok so it's the intake noise.. defiantly hard to replicate that.

I still think the E46 M3s are good buying but the interior is starting to look a little dated...

BMW's have always been a bit of a trendy fashion accessory. Like any fashion, it goes out of favour once the next fashion arrives.

Offline alvchua

• Drives: Old junks
Would definitely have been on my list of must have BMs if only that gearbox was manual!! SMG just does not cut it and my mechanic has endless tales of E36 and E46 SMG problems! Thank goodness the 1-series M coupe is 6 speed manual only!

Offline CortinaD

Would definitely have been on my list of must have BMs if only that gearbox was manual!! SMG just does not cut it and my mechanic has endless tales of E36 and E46 SMG problems! Thank goodness the 1-series M coupe is 6 speed manual only!

I agree with e36 smg - they all seem to be stuffed but no way on endless e46 smg problems.

Offline alvchua

• Drives: Old junks
I agree with e36 smg - they all seem to be stuffed but no way on endless e46 smg problems.
To be fair, I've never owned a BM with SMG so have not been hit with failures etc .... all I remember was the mechanics words on SMGs....."Stay away!!" hence I have so far. ;)

Offline CortinaD

To be fair, I've never owned a BM with SMG so have not been hit with failures etc .... all I remember was the mechanics words on SMGs....."Stay away!!" hence I have so far. ;)

The subframe, window regulators, alternators, door trims, rtabs, power steering high pressure seem to plague the e46 more than gbox problems. Man how sad that they can't get that basic stuff right