Offline alvchua

• Drives: Old junks
Posted in on ECCA forums but would appreciate any expertise/opinions here too.
Hi all,

would appreciate any input/opinions.

Signed for a 2010 build X5 35d in Nov 2009 - have been waiting for it since - car arrives last week, finance settled on vehicle Fri, I go to dealership and find a Build date Dec 09 decal under the bonnet even though compliance is 03/10.

I have been stung in the past during tradeins when the build date is the accepted age of the vehicle regardless of compliance.

Now have dealership saying the build date sticker is wrong and they will change this to Jan2010 and in meantime they have been supplying screenshots of their database and that of BMW Australia stating that the production was in fact Jan 2010.

My mechanic has since supplied me through a contact of his a printout and decode showing build date of 23/12/2009.

I am inclined to push for a new order for a 2010 build date vehicle as specified so as I am not hit come resale time.

Any input/thoughts/opinion would be appreciated.

Forgiveness is easier to achieve than permission!

Offline M308

• Degranged

• Name: Scott Thomson
Congrats on the purchase :thumbsup:
If you specified in the contract that you have ordered a 2010 build car, I would be demanding another car.....no questions asked. If not specified in the contract, you may have no grounds but it also depends on the dealer & whether they think your car will sell quickly as well.
How can they change a build plate??????? :confused: :confused:
2009 build will lose more as you drive out the dealership that a 2010 build will......a fair bit more :scared:
Good luck & let us know how you go :)

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
we're talking about 7 days, yes?

I don't understand why ANYONE buying ANY new car would care about re-sale value.

If you truly care about residual, buy a good used one.

It's a no-brainer for me. Take it on the chin if you really want the car, but if actually, you've changed your mind about wanting the car, then see if you can pull out.

Of course, if the contract wording was THAT specific about whether it was build or first reg date, then the contract should be fulfilled.

Offline alvchua

Congrats on the purchase :thumbsup:
If you specified in the contract that you have ordered a 2010 build car, I would be demanding another car.....no questions asked. If not specified in the contract, you may have no grounds but it also depends on the dealer & whether they think your car will sell quickly as well.
How can they change a build plate??????? :confused: :confused:
2009 build will lose more as you drive out the dealership that a 2010 build will......a fair bit more :scared:
Good luck & let us know how you go :)

Thanks for the reply, - my sentiments precisely about the depreciation and also at the time I signed, they were doing deals then on 2009 plated cars and now the deals are even better with a model runout/model change.
This should be a joyous occasion getting a new car and I did research and opted for the X35d - still happy with the twin turbo but the suggestion of changing a build date sticker is almost incredulous in my opinion - just like me changing my birth date!!! Also would have thought is fraudulent???

I made very clear that I specified for a 2010 build car and the order as well as invoice recently said the same. Now I have a rep from BMW Australia in Vic weighing in saying this is indeed a 2010 build car although my sticker on the car clearly says Dec 09!!  :doh:

My deepest fear is in 3 years time when I try and sell it, anyone can do a VIN search and it will be reflected as a 2009 build car and lose me another years' resale regardless of what they say now I guess.

Thinking it through, I will be pushing for a 2010 build re-order I guess.

Offline jim501

• Idiot Seeking Village

• Name: Cam
Sure you specific build year or just model year? Just making sure, as a December build would be a model year 2010.

Offline alvchua

we're talking about 7 days, yes?

I don't understand why ANYONE buying ANY new car would care about re-sale value.

If you truly care about residual, buy a good used one.

It's a no-brainer for me. Take it on the chin if you really want the car, but if actually, you've changed your mind about wanting the car, then see if you can pull out.

Of course, if the contract wording was THAT specific about whether it was build or first reg date, then the contract should be fulfilled.

Agreed we are talking about 7 days but this exact 7 days is what a used car dealer will pin me on come resale. Unfortunately I have the curse of changing cars too often as my wife says - track record thus far has not been good - in last 11 years - have on averaged had car changes every 30-35 months hence the issue here! I think after this lesson, I am going to have to seriously become more sensible!!

Offline alvchua

Sure you specific build year or just model year? Just making sure, as a December build would be a model year 2010.

Just looked at order and invoice - both specified build date, not Model Year. A few years ago I had a 635csi that for some reason had a compliance plate 15 months later than build date. Come resale  - I got burnt for the extra 2 years "age"!

Offline jim501

• Idiot Seeking Village

• Name: Cam
Right nail them then, or ask for $10k back!

Offline M308

• Degranged

• Name: Scott Thomson

Offline alvchua

$30k :D

LOL!! Just want the saga behind me and get into the new car! Probably need to either push for a reasonable refund or get the new car ordered - esp now that they are running the X35D out and replacing it with the X40D in June!