Offline Young Grant

• Drives: BMW X5
  • Name: Grant
In July last year I purchased a demonstrator BMW X5 E70. At the time the vehicle had travelled 8,000 klm and was as new. It is now 12 months later and the car has done approx. high 20000klm.  3 weeks ago I was travelling down the M1 Freeway in Brisbane Qld when without warning the tail shaft gave away and the car became very hard to control. I was travelling at approx. 100kph and in peak hour (6pm) when this happened. I pulled to the curb side with some difficulty and observed that there was oil everywhere and the car was making all kinds of nasty noises. The reason I am writing about this experience is that I am having difficulty getting my head around what happened.  I was told that the AC discharge duct was over the UV joint on the tail shaft and this caused the seal on the UV joint to fail and subsequently let go.  The tail shaft destroyed the gear box or a least did serious damage to it and this is being replaced by BMW un warranty. I have now spoken to a number of other BMW outlets and they tell me that they doubt that I have been told the entire story and that I should question the veracity of these statements. I am also told that the X5 does not have a chassis or a sub frame and components such as centre bearing hangers are build into the floor pan.  If these are damaged then this requires extensive realignment work. My concern is that I want the car to pull our caravan and if this were to happen again for what ever reason I doubt if we would be so lucky next time.  I also thank our lucky stars that it was I driving and not my wife. Up until this happened I was a loyal BMW supporter, this being my 5th BMW in a row. Can anyone out there tell me if they have experienced anything similar to our experience, and if so what was the cause?