Offline KV

• Nee SydneyExotics

• Drives: Bugatti Veyron (model scaled 1:100)
Hey guys,
Last night i was driving the X5 and i came to do a U-turn, so i turn right, stop (im not too sure if it was complete halt) put it in reverse then i accelerated for 1 second and then i heard a loud noise like something got stuck underneath the car, which the car stopped (but with a bit of acceleration it would move a little). Then i turn it off and turn it back on, the car says something about the handbrake, but thats ridiculous since the handbrake was never even on even of you try to turn it on it wont let you while driving. When i put it in drive again it made a noise and then when i accelerated more and took off the noise went away and accelerated normally till i stopped again...My friend told me to stop as it would get worse so i towed it to my home...it was very unusual..the car has done 40 000kms it is a 2007 model, one of the first in Oz and has never had a problem.
This morning i came to have a look at the car and the saw the rear leaking of oil...im not good with mechanics but it was the thing between the wheels of the car...i took a photo of it..

If somebody could help me on what has happened, what it could be i would appreciate it before i take it to the BMW service department tomorrow.

Offline My Rotarys

• Drives: 1000
Sounds like something let go in your differential, (thing between your wheels) maybe broken diff gears

Offline M308

• Degranged

• Name: Scott Thomson
Cracked housing.....internals won't be in good shape :scared:

Offline Paulstar

Can't remember who, but a user on here posted that a rear view mirror (external) runs at 3g's for an X5. This won't be cheap, @Sydney Exotics - warranty?

Offline TEZZA

• Those Frenchies seek him everywhere

• Drives: No matter what it is I am still lusting after something better.
Hey guys,
Last night i was driving the X5 and i came to do a U-turn, so i turn right, stop (im not too sure if it was complete halt) put it in reverse then i accelerated for 1 second and then i heard a loud noise like something got stuck underneath the car, which the car stopped (but with a bit of acceleration it would move a little). Then i turn it off and turn it back on, the car says something about the handbrake, but thats ridiculous since the handbrake was never even on even of you try to turn it on it wont let you while driving. When i put it in drive again it made a noise and then when i accelerated more and took off the noise went away and accelerated normally till i stopped again...My friend told me to stop as it would get worse so i towed it to my home...it was very unusual..the car has done 40 000kms it is a 2007 model, one of the first in Oz and has never had a problem.
This morning i came to have a look at the car and the saw the rear leaking of oil...im not good with mechanics but it was the thing between the wheels of the car...i took a photo of it..

If somebody could help me on what has happened, what it could be i would appreciate it before i take it to the BMW service department tomorrow.

I would say that driving it even for 5 metres is a very dumb idea. If putting it on a flat bed see if they can put Go Jacks under the tyres so the shafts do not turn.
It does not appear to be leaking fluid from a seal or gasket. If that is true then there could be a crack in the housing from the stress of something going wrong inside. If that is right then two words come to mind "save up".
I would also be careful of BMW service centres (dealers) for doing these things. I found their way to fix things very expensive, with my history with BMW. I found a BMW trained guy running his own business. He does not say to fit BMW original parts to everything. He buys the same parts, but without the BMW box. Much better.

Don't end up being the "legal prey" of your BMW dealer.

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
Hey guys,
Last night i was driving the X5 and i came to do a U-turn, so i turn right, stop (im not too sure if it was complete halt) put it in reverse then i accelerated for 1 second 

That is the action of voiding a diff warranty, still I would have thought BMW would have had a fail safe for this like putting the car into neutral or having a mechanism that stops this action from destroying the diff.... FFS a KIA Sportage has that fail safe in it, BMW should have it as well????

Good luck
You can say I'm wrong, but my garage doesn't agree with that statement!!!

Offline KV

• Nee SydneyExotics

I would say that driving it even for 5 metres is a very dumb idea. If putting it on a flat bed see if they can put Go Jacks under the tyres so the shafts do not turn.
It does not appear to be leaking fluid from a seal or gasket. If that is true then there could be a crack in the housing from the stress of something going wrong inside. If that is right then two words come to mind "save up".
I would also be careful of BMW service centres (dealers) for doing these things. I found their way to fix things very expensive, with my history with BMW. I found a BMW trained guy running his own business. He does not say to fit BMW original parts to everything. He buys the same parts, but without the BMW box. Much better.

Don't end up being the "legal prey" of your BMW dealer.
I don't know...in the picture it doesn't look like it but the diff is leaking-i think its the fluid.... does that have anything to do with it?
Who is this guy and where is he located?

Offline KV

• Nee SydneyExotics

That is the action of voiding a diff warranty, still I would have thought BMW would have had a fail safe for this like putting the car into neutral or having a mechanism that stops this action from destroying the diff.... FFS a KIA Sportage has that fail safe in it, BMW should have it as well????

Good luck
I'll tell him i didn't then...but i don't know i just took the car to the bmw service department they will let me know in the next 24-48 hours...hopefully it won't be that much...

Offline alvchua

• Drives: Old junks
Can't remember who, but a user on here posted that a rear view mirror (external) runs at 3g's for an X5. This won't be cheap, @Sydney Exotics - warranty?
That was me about the $3.5k wing mirror!

Seriously though - there should have been a lockout to prevent this in first place! Hope u r covered by warranty and please keep us posted!
Forgiveness is easier to achieve than permission!

Offline KV

• Nee SydneyExotics

That was me about the $3.5k wing mirror!

Seriously though - there should have been a lockout to prevent this in first place! Hope u r covered by warranty and please keep us posted!
I asked them today my warranty had already expired last may so...i don't know whats going to happen..ye i'll keep you updated but to be specific its a 2007 X5 Sports Twin Turbo Diesel...