Offline Doddy

I am looking at a 2006 X5 which has 20" wheels fitted. The owner is prepared to refit the original 17" wheels. What ride difference can i expect between the two sizes?.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
I am looking at a 2006 X5 which has 20" wheels fitted. The owner is prepared to refit the original 17" wheels. What ride difference can i expect between the two sizes?.

well, if the rolling circumference of the tyre is roughly the same, the original wheels will feel much more supple and quiet and smooth, and generally more comfortable.

the bigger wheels will tighten things (response/feedback) up a bit, but cause harshness and generally lower the level of refinement.

But it don't mean a thing if it ain't got no bling.....right?

Offline 993tits

• Pepé Le Porsche

a lot! :D
Always Gunna

• Soap Dodger

a lot! :D

and performance will be considerably increased with a pair of racing stripes, yes  :tilt:

Offline 993tits

• Pepé Le Porsche

and performance will be considerably increased with a pair of racing stripes, yes  :tilt:

Correct! ;)
Always Gunna

Offline deangpsx8

• I Am Legend
  • I am legend in my own lunchbox

• Drives: Everyone Crazy
  • Name: Dean
  • www: Intellitrac.com.au
hmm....i've got 20" on my 2009.

Let me tell you at $850 each  and  $1700 later after 2 have suffered impact fractures...stick with the 17".

With 20"  you need to treat a "4WD" with kid gloves. 
Make them a cup of coffee in the morning  and a hot chocolate to put them to bed.

They look great...but totally impractical for any hint of off road  or even suburban pot holes.

After chatting to my friends with ML's and Cayennes with similar tyres...they all have had the same experience.

Quite frankly i did not hit any pot holes big enough to damage the tyres.
There was no gravel rash on my rims...
But mysteriously 2 side wall cracks allegedly caused by impacts such as pot holes.

Car has never been off road.

Live in the burbs with good quality roads.

I have had a massive blu with BMW Australia over this issue and also Bridgestone.

My next procedure to remove this thorn out of my side, is to try and take this to the media to make others awake of the bullshit.

I posted pics on a thread here just before Christmas...Ash..your chance to find it.
Persistence Beats Resistance

• Soap Dodger

tyres leak at a natural rate.

they leak air molecules, not just pressure.

On a large wheel with low profile tyre, there are less air molecules inside than a smaller wheel with a simliar sized (circumference) tyre.

so any leakage of X amount of molecules has a greater effect on low profile tyres than it does on higher ones.

Subsequently, low profile tyres are more often under inflated and get damaged as a result.

The worse thing still is that the side walls don't LOOK underinflated.

Offline 993tits

• Pepé Le Porsche

tyres leak at a natural rate.

they leak air molecules, not just pressure.

On a large wheel with low profile tyre, there are less air molecules inside than a smaller wheel with a simliar sized (circumference) tyre.

so any leakage of X amount of molecules has a greater effect on low profile tyres than it does on higher ones.

Subsequently, low profile tyres are more often under inflated and get damaged as a result.

The worse thing still is that the side walls don't LOOK underinflated.

correct.............and do you know why this is? What is it about the physical structure of rubber that encourages this to happen?
Always Gunna

• Soap Dodger

correct.............and do you know why this is? What is it about the physical structure of rubber that encourages this to happen?

dunno, but when I wear my rubber suit, I leak from EVERWHERE  :thumbsup:

• Soap Dodger

what has been imagined cannot be unimagined.....