Offline leburpor

• Loves Tom Cruise

So whilst at The Wash today, one of the owners who bought the new M3 offered me a drive in his new toy. I initially declined, citing that I can't drive a manual. By the time we got into the hills he offered it to me again and this time I couldn't say no. Must say I was a bit nervous, I mean, this car had only done 1400kms and the last thing I want to do was ruin his gear box.

Anyway, I took off all ok and did not stall the car. Although I did kangaroo hop it a bit  :doh: Even did a three point turn without stalling the car...I was quite happy with myself  :D

So I did the downhill part of the drive and wow, what a car. It's so much easier to drive through the twisities in a smaller car. And the car had guts down low too...it was really really fun.... Hardly any understeer and the steering was sharp enough for me. It was also roomy and very very comfy.

Although a Porsche would still kick its ass through the twisties, not by much though, it'll be a hard choice considering it is far more comfortable as a daily driver.

2 years more with the M5....how am I going to survive...... :p

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

A bloke I know told me on Friday that he's ordered an M3 sedan.

I've read too many comparisons saying the C63 is a better car for my liking.  Might be worth a drive in one of those too - or wait for the next M5.

Offline leburpor

• Loves Tom Cruise

Most of the reviews I've read awards the M3 for better handling and steering  :scratchchin: best way is for me to test drive the C63 and decide. Not sure that the guys at BEA will let me have a drive though, especially since they now know I bought the M5 a few months ago...nevertheless, might give them a call later in the week.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Most of the reviews I've read awards the M3 for better handling and steering  :scratchchin: best way is for me to test drive the C63 and decide. Not sure that the guys at BEA will let me have a drive though, especially since they now know I bought the M5 a few months ago...nevertheless, might give them a call later in the week.

They had a C63 press car on the floor when I was there a week ago.  They offered a drive but the week got too busy. 

Waiting list is too long for it (and the M3) anyway.  I'm sure both are excellent.

Offline STi Nut

• Drives: Toyota GTS 86
Fifth Gear test the M3 and C63 against each other.... head them both on the road, and the 63 sounds like it has more presents..
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQOqLMHzBtk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQOqLMHzBtk</a>

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Good fun to watch but the viewer is left completely uninformed as to what each is like to use on the road.

Either would do me.   :)

Offline leburpor

• Loves Tom Cruise

Thanks for the link. The results are similar to reviews in most of the mag I've read. The Merc is no doubt the more powerful car in straightline and if you're after that neck breaking thrills then the Merc is it for you. The BMW although a little less slower and reasonably less powerful, provides for a thrilling drive through the twisties, track and even comfier ride for long distance driving.

Based on that, if I had to choose between the two then it'll be the M3.

goober

notable price difference in the UK, here the gap widens in Aust. The Benz is a typical Benz, big donk in a car aka American style, the M3 is a car that has developed with evolution of the species. Having had an M3 and CLK55, gimme the M3 for fun factor, just cant stand the i drive crap, designed for LHD cars and the driver to use a computer mouse with the right hand..........try using a mouse with the left hand!

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

notable price difference in the UK, here the gap widens in Aust. The Benz is a typical Benz, big donk in a car aka American style, the M3 is a car that has developed with evolution of the species. Having had an M3 and CLK55, gimme the M3 for fun factor, just cant stand the i drive crap, designed for LHD cars and the driver to use a computer mouse with the right hand..........try using a mouse with the left hand!

I'm with you on the I-drive.  They say you get used to it but after nearly 3 years I hate it more than ever.  You realise how bad it is every time you get in a Benz or Porsche.  I can use a LH mouse and I still don't like the damn thing.

The only way they could make it tolerable was to provide shortcuts (with the extra buttons I-drive was designed to avoid).

Does the disclaimer still have to be clicked away every damn time you start the car?  The former BMW Australia CEO admitted that in Germany it switches off on its own.  Only USA and Australia require it to be turned off manually - even though our ADR's don't require it.   :doh:

Offline CortinaD

Although it may be to early, what you/he think about it compared with the E46 M3?

I am still not sold on the new one.