Offline CortinaD

BMW were very receptive.

Wind back 1.5 years, I took my wheels off for a clean and thought I would check out the subframe mounting points due to all the problems that are well documented on the internet and noticed a 10mm hairline crack. Had a friend of a friend put it on his hoist and they checked it and confirmed the bad news. Well out of warranty but I tell my friend at BMW about it and within a few hours get the call that they are covering the repair.

The car was gone for 1 month while they replaced the floor.

The repair has the car pretty much stripped of everything electrical, no doors, no boot, no rear bumper, no exhaust, no rear seat, etc. They replace the floor and the boot floor and then fill the new cavity with some hardening sealant for extra strength to prevent it from happening again.

My car is a 12/03 build, 04/04 delivered and at the time had 41,000 kms on it. You can see in the pics its just started to crack. Never tracked the car before then and had only done a few launch controls, a lot of S6 changes etc but regardless dunno why it failed, its supposed to be a motorsport car. The car has just tipped 56500kms now and no signs of a crack reappearing.

I haven't seen any pics on this forum of the repair process so I would like to show you them.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Wow, that is a big repair. If that was an insurance job it would have been written off.

Looks like quite a few $$$$$$s worth to do that fix.

Done thru an Authorised BMW repairer or just a general one????

Offline CortinaD

Wow, that is a big repair. If that was an insurance job it would have been written off.

Looks like quite a few $$$$$$s worth to do that fix.

Done thru an Authorised BMW repairer or just a general one????

Supposedly a 20k repair and the car would have been worth around 100k at the time. The hardening gunk they use is apparently worth 1k per tube and its 4 tubes!!! I don't doubt that it would have cost that much to repair but if you were fixing it yourself out of warranty you wouldn't go to the extreme BMW did. BMW had a repair kit for this problem and they had no choice but to order it.

It was fixed thru an authorised BMW repairer and thankfully IMO the best one in the state!

Offline Richie

• I need Lambo drugs...

• Drives: my wife crazy
OMG.... another one... I have seen a few e46 m3 had this type of problem at Charlie's (Melbourne based bmw authorised repairer) already... my previous m coupe suffered the same thing too... but no bmw's help this time.... so heaps of money involved...

Good that they put extra strengthen materials on it and i believe the new floor is a stronger item too... good that you have got it back.... fingers crossed on my 14K km CSL now :)

cheers,

richie

Offline CortinaD

OMG.... another one... I have seen a few e46 m3 had this type of problem at Charlie's (Melbourne based bmw authorised repairer) already... my previous m coupe suffered the same thing too... but no bmw's help this time.... so heaps of money involved...

Good that they put extra strengthen materials on it and i believe the new floor is a stronger item too... good that you have got it back.... fingers crossed on my 14K km CSL now :)

cheers,

richie

Welcome fellow e46fanatic.

We compared the new floor to the old and it looked the same and it was the same thickness at least where I could measure, only visual difference was it was black so I guess it is be made out of a better material.

There was 3 CB M3 at adelaide motors on the hoists all getting done at the same time as mine -  would have made for a good photo.