Offline MikeG

• The World's Finest Brands

• Drives: E93 BMW M3
  • Name: Mike Glew
Hi, I'm considering changing over from the Audi S4 to an E60 BMW M5.

Does anyone have any fist hand experience with these cars?  Pros and cons?

M
Mike
www.bestexhaust.com.au
1800 985 925

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A burgandy car.

M

From an M5 forum. Doesnt look like they have major problems overall. When you consider most people dont say anything until they have something to complain about they look pretty reliable. From my previous ownership of used BMW's I found there was always something little that came up every few months that needed some maintenance but never anything too major.

The thread is about 5 years old.. maybe join up and ask the question again now the cars are a few years older.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/169760-e60-m5-plagued-problems.html

Offline MikeG

• The World's Finest Brands

• Drives: E93 BMW M3
  • Name: Mike Glew
Thanks for that - will do.
Mike
www.bestexhaust.com.au
1800 985 925

Offline F1V10

• Drives: V10 M5
  • Name: Mr HaHa

M
Mike I had it for a couple of years. It was a beautiful car at high speeds but city traffic is quite jerky.
I had a few problems as I bought a used car which wasn't maintained properly but overtime I fixed all the problems.
Aggressive gears shifts, doesn't matter which mode you select its never smooth.
But I will buy another E60 M5 or E63 over the next few years.
Pm me if you wanna know more.

All the best

Offline NBTBRV8

The two issues I know of which are not uncommon:

1) They clutch shudder when taking off because the input shaft wasn't lubricated so the throw out bearing starts grabbing as it slides along the shaft causing the judder.  But generally they are very hard on clutches, and when you do a clutch you also have to do the twin mass flywheel, so factor in a few thousand dollars if you get a dealer to do it.

2) The vanoses are supplied oil by rubber hoses each for both banks.  The hoses run down inside the front of the motor in to the sump.  What happens is as the cars age the rubber hoses perish as starve the vanoses and they start to run rough and if left it buggers the banks.I believe it can be difficult to diagnose and you have to pull the front off the motor to replace the hoses.

I think these are the two biggest issues from things that fail.

The motor is a peach, and back in the day could overtake everything bar a service station.  By today's standards they are still quick, but very thirsty, and with a small fuel tank you will only get around 300 kms to a tank around town.

Brakes are expensive to do too.

Buy a facelift if you can, they are a great car, but make sure you can live with SMG as not everyone can.

Offline M500

Hi Mike

I had an '06 from almost new for a couple of years and it was a great car overall. It had immense power and torque and really hurled ass for a luxury sedan. The handling is also very good for It's size and weight. Brakes pulled up well even on the odd track day. Mine was very reliable other than a clutch/ flywheel replacement under warranty although I was to blame with strong 69 launch control launches.