Offline the360

My X5M was a nightmare for the first 18mths; but they seem to have got it sorted and the last 18mths have been trouble free.

I must have had at least 10 BMW's over the years and this is the first one that has given me serious grief. I got to the point where I said I would never buy another; but if the X5M keeps trucking ok I might stick with them.

I just gave up and sold soon as it happened

a few of my friends have audis and not happy Q7 & Q5

Offline M500

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

A guy I know just ditched his wifes near new Q5 as he reckons it was pretty average. Ride on most X5's is harsh due to the massive wheels and low profile tyres fittted purely for looks in most cases.

To be honest it didnt look anything special, build wise.
Neighbour said the only difference between them and a VW is the interior.

Offline alvchua

• Drives: Old junks
Was this petrol or diesel?
petrol 3.0 engine!

Very disappointing and local dealership not terribly helpful as yet! I only found out this morning hence am trying to use some of my contacts to help them - both husband and wife BMW owners!
Forgiveness is easier to achieve than permission!

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

petrol 3.0 engine!

Very disappointing and local dealership not terribly helpful as yet! I only found out this morning hence am trying to use some of my contacts to help them - both husband and wife BMW owners!

I'd say if they could be bothered going through office of consumer and business affairs and making a complaint through the statutory warranty legislation they will probably find that they may get some action.

Offline dkabab

Warranties are a funny thing, I deal with them daily in computers an electronics. Keep in mind, what a manufacturer offers and what is considered fair and reasonable time are quite different.

Lets take a tv for example. But a $500 42" plasma... Manufacturer offers 12 months. At 14 months, it stops working. You're pretty much on your own.

Buy a $5000 42" tv, 12 month manufacturer warranty, then 24 months down the track its faulty... It's considered fair and reasonable that a 5k tv should last more than 2 years. Under accc, you'll more than likely have it repaired or replaced under warranty.

Now I don't know if cars are different, but one could argue that I'd they paid 150-200k for a car and not 20k, then they would assume that it's fair and reasonable for it to last longer than 5 years.

If the dealer doesn't wanna know, try the accc route.

Offline sr71

• Drives: FPV F6
I had a conversation with a Tow truck driver last week. He recommended Volvo and MB, because he rarely picks them up . However, he would never buy BMW ,Saab or Audi because of how many of these brands he gives Roadside assistance to.
When I questioned him about Exotics, he explained that there weren't enough on the road to make a comparison . He'd been in the trade for 35 years. No BS!. Nice guy.

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
Didn't a member here in the last year also have an X5 that blew a Diff in 30 000km or something like that???

They surely aren't built like they were 20 years ago.
You can say I'm wrong, but my garage doesn't agree with that statement!!!

Offline Joel

Didn't a member here in the last year also have an X5 that blew a Diff in 30 000km or something like that???

They surely aren't built like they were 20 years ago.

Nothing is built like it was 20 years ago... thats the shit thing!!

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Did I ever tell you about my old XC that did 1,000,000 Kms!     :D

Probably did more than that. And yes it was a Taxis literally.

In the time I had it, the only thing I had to do to it was service it  and I replaced an Alternator and a Gas converter.     :thumbsup:

Oh, and a few sets of tyres........