Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Yeah ok I finally just got around to watching the vids... well, ok, I stopped halfway through the first. 

I'm not really sure what I was looking at.  :?

Offline RC

Thanks Guys for the welcome, Hope to meet you guys sometime on a Run or at the Track. ;) :p

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Aemel took me for a drive in a DCT M3 Coupe today.  Nice car but not worth swapping an M5 for.  The engine noise was disappointing and it needed serious revs to get going.  Nice handling though and it looks good.

The DCT is just like the Golf's DSG - smooth as silk but more like an auto than the SMG which feels more like a manual.  Depend what you want, but that smoothness comes at the expense of less driving feel.

Offline CortinaD

That is a shame, I was hoping they would make it a bit raw.

Offline RC

:? I had a feeling that the DCT version will be too smooth. They are obviously trying to make it smooth enough to be in full auto for those who are not going to learn to shift.
It's unfortunate that such a great engine is wrapped around all these hardware that takes the rawness out of it.
I still think the last version of SMG esp in CS and CSL are best compromise, gear ratios can be a bit tall though!! :(
Will stick with SMG II or manual. Definitely more fun driving manual in the 60-90kph zones.
I will try to get a test drive of the DCT M3 and see for myself anyway.
It's strange that the SMGII has always been 80msecs shift time but everything else even DCT in GTR is only 100msec except for Scuderia Ferrari.

Offline CortinaD

:? I had a feeling that the DCT version will be too smooth. They are obviously trying to make it smooth enough to be in full auto for those who are not going to learn to shift.
It's unfortunate that such a great engine is wrapped around all these hardware that takes the rawness out of it.
I still think the last version of SMG esp in CS and CSL are best compromise, gear ratios can be a bit tall though!! :(
Will stick with SMG II or manual. Definitely more fun driving manual in the 60-90kph zones.
I will try to get a test drive of the DCT M3 and see for myself anyway.
It's strange that the SMGII has always been 80msecs shift time but everything else even DCT in GTR is only 100msec except for Scuderia Ferrari.

I will send you some of the bmw training doco for this, they are not counting the time it takes to disengage/re-engage the clutch, only the cog swapping.