Offline blackr35

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

a mobile guy suggested by alvin
his other work for people on here has all been good

in his defence, he was unsure about the spider webbing and fibreglass in general
it was a bigger job than he normally does, as it was basically the whole front bar
I havent asked him to come back yet, as my availability in Adelaide is limited to weekends

his price was 1/6 of the cheapest quote I got from 3 crash repairers, who all said red is impossible to paint and that dismantling my car will take days etc. Which I know is crap.

still, I have my new tyres now, and ideally my car would be for sale, but I feel its unsaleable in its current mismatched cracked state

I'm surprised they all thought it hard to paint red - but I don't know much about fibreglass.

Offline alvchua

• Drives: Old junks
the respray I have had done to fix my thousands of stone chips hasnt gone too well

its obviously the wrong color, people notice straight away, and the spider web cracking is now worse unfortunately
I think pressing on it to grind it out increased the surface cracking in my fibreglass nose

It looked good whilst being done, the red filler stuff, grey undercoat then multiple coats of the red paint, sanding back, clear coat, wet sand, buff etc.

It looked like it was gone until it dried, and after a couple of days its worse than it ever was
All the working on the area seems to have increased the cracking

moral to this long story - get a bra!
bugger Dave!! I feel terrible for recommending him now!! :doh:

Ian's usually quite true to his word and stands by his work but IIRC, years ago, when I had a red car, I was told it's a difficult colour to match due to the "lead" content in the paint! Not sure how true this is!
Forgiveness is easier to achieve than permission!

Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David
its not yours or Ians fault alvin!
please dont think that it is, I hold no grudge :)

the copper content in mine appears to be too high
im less concerned about the color mismatch than the cracking which has spread
it looks like im trying to hide crash damage,  which I am not

I will give him a call and see what he suggests, if he says he cant help with the cracking I will understand

I should probably change my name to 'thread splitter' as I always go off topic

Offline TWD

• Drives: All sorts
Love the car, mate!

Should also join up here, as there are PLENTY of 1M owners: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=245

Offline mtarone

Love the car, mate!

Should also join up here, as there are PLENTY of 1M owners: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=245

Thanks mate, yep I'm already on 1addicts as matts325i, just don't get much time online these days, in fact you gave me some advice on interior protection for the 1m (which I have now done - thanks again for the advice).

:D

Offline TWD

• Drives: All sorts
Thanks mate, yep I'm already on 1addicts as matts325i, just don't get much time online these days, in fact you gave me some advice on interior protection for the 1m (which I have now done - thanks again for the advice).

:D

Small world! Hope it worked out for you, Matt! Glad I could help out :)

Offline CMc

Hi, my new 1M is arriving in Brisbane in July and the salesman told me that they could not do the clear cover...  I live in remote QLD - any ideas on how I can get the cover?

Chris

Offline carmooch

• Name: George
Hi, my new 1M is arriving in Brisbane in July and the salesman told me that they could not do the clear cover...  I live in remote QLD - any ideas on how I can get the cover?

Chris
You could use clear plastidip instead? Easy to apply yourself, goes on like spray paint and peels off like vinyl.

Offline fivesix

Chris

Hey Chris, congrats, where in remote QLD?