Offline dkabab

Same goes for a lot of sport obsessed fathers hell bent on their kids "making it."

A mate of mine from baseball was made several offers to play professional baseball, cricket AND afl. Out of the whole time I played with him (6 years), I can't remember a match or training session where his father wasn't carrying on at him like a pork chop. Some great stories over those years... Bloody hell.

At the end of the day, he's playing for the Gold Coast Suns, so I guess the whole father being a cock works...

what BB club?

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

where his father wasn't carrying on at him like a pork chop. Some great stories over those years... Bloody hell.

At the end of the day, he's playing for the Gold Coast Suns, so I guess the whole father being a cock works...

It might help some but it could break some others, I think the father as a prick is a bad idea.

Offline YMCMB

Props to Tomic tho, he's done well for a 19 year old.

Offline Laminator

• https://www.facebook.com/photoesel/

what BB club?

Sturt. :)

It might help some but it could break some others, I think the father as a prick is a bad idea.

Definitely. Lucky this particular kid had some intestinal fortitude. The real pity is when the father begins to think every one in the team is their son. Saw a few kids break down in tears because of this guy tormenting them. One time he got ejected from the grounds by the umpire. I wasn't even aware that was a thing that could happen...

Offline AussieSpotter

• I like fast cars

Certainly helped Beckham, and I'm sure lots of other famous people (not necessarily sports people) have almost been forced to do well in their field by their Dad's too. Can't say I would want to have a Dad like that though.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Certainly helped Beckham, and I'm sure lots of other famous people (not necessarily sports people) have almost been forced to do well in their field by their Dad's too. Can't say I would want to have a Dad like that though.

You cant force anyone to be as good as Beckham, you have to have the natural talent to begin with, I bet there are a lot out there who were pushed by their parents and are worse for it.

Offline AussieSpotter

• I like fast cars

You cant force anyone to be as good as Beckham, you have to have the natural talent to begin with, I bet there are a lot out there who were pushed by their parents and are worse for it.
Agree with both your points completely, but on the first one, his Dad literally would take him to the park across from their house and make him do multiple drills, and not let him stop until he could do it PERFECTLY X number of times in a row. Alot of people say you can be whatever you want to be, as long as you put the time and effort in. Of course, Beckham would have been naturally talented as well, but those hours of practice every night during his childhood are what has made him become the footballer he was, and still is, today.

Offline dkabab

I remember a sports scientist talking about Michael Jordan a few years ago. Basic story was, for every greatest sports star in the world, there's 6 others out there that could have been as good or better, but never played the sport or necer persued it.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
williams sisters can't be all genetics, HAS to be training..

48 majors between them... squillions!

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.

Lleyton Hewitt lost a match once when he was 13 and his dad made him run home from Blackwood to West Lakes. Its a 30km run, lucky for Lleyton its down hill.