Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
but it is still a discussion point, on how good brakes can be REGARDLESS of how mnay pistons they have....

so many people are easily swayed by some facts that have no relevance to performance.

Fine - start some discussions that are more general tech-based so others can weigh in.  I doubt any of us know the ultimate answer, discussion between those with experience/knowledge/ideas is where it all starts and we draw our own conclusions from that.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
Fine - start some discussions that are more general tech-based so others can weigh in.  I doubt any of us know the ultimate answer, discussion between those with experience/knowledge/ideas is where it all starts and we draw our own conclusions from that.

errr.... I did....  :thumbsup:

• Soap Dodger

Furthermore, Some people think that having more pistons means it controls pad wear better, due to reducing taper and general 'waste" of pad surface area...

Well, I know an M6 that has done ~30k km now, and been used for rally recce and sports events (but not track days)... and still on its first set of pads!

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: TBA
  • Name: Peter
Furthermore, all people know that having more pistons means it controls pad wear better, due to reducing taper and general 'waste" of pad surface area...

Well, I know an M6 that has done ~30k km now, and been used for rally recce and sports events (but not track days)... and still on its first set of pads!

fixed.

M5 brakes are HUGE...there's no getting around that....and THAT's why they're good....but all things being equal multi pistons are always going to be better.

I love my car. Buy your own

• Soap Dodger

fixed.

M5 brakes are HUGE...there's no getting around that....and THAT's why they're good....but IN MY OPINION, all things being equal multi pistons are always going to be better.

fixed

and I disagree about the "always" part

I'm happy to see evidence to support it though.

Offline Aircon

fixed

and I disagree about the "always" part

I'm happy to see evidence to support it though.

yep....that's why ALL modern high performance cars run single piston calipers.....because it's only my opinion that multi piston is better. right?

yep yep yep.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Did you even read my response?

I saw right from the stArt this wasn't an M car issue, it's a troll exercise. When I'm off iPhone I'll move thrds as warranted.

I'm no expert on brakes, you might be in your field, and gheres many others who read and could contribute, which is best for all concerned.

• Soap Dodger

Did you even read my response?

I saw right from the stArt this wasn't an M car issue, it's a troll exercise. When I'm off iPhone I'll move thrds as warranted.

I'm no expert on brakes, you might be in your field, and gheres many others who read and could contribute, which is best for all concerned.

yep....that's why ALL modern high performance cars run single piston calipers.....because it's only my opinion that multi piston is better. right?

yep yep yep.

I think it IS an M car discussion.

They're widely regarded as one of the best HIGH PERFORMANCE road cars available... which clearly proves that not "ALL" HP cars need multi piston brakes....

What I'm trying to do here, is dispell the myth that piston quantity is the be all and end all ....

It's not.... the size helps dissipate heat and create modulation....

the pistons are just pressure points.... and you can create pressure points with a well designed floating caliper, that only has one piston.

Offline Aircon

and you can create pressure points with a well designed floating caliper, that only has one piston.

almost as well as doing it with multiple pistons.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

My Gallardos with multi-piston brakes ran out of brakes after half a dozen laps at Mallala and the M5 ran fade free for as long as I could lap.  :doh: