Offline andecorp

• Biggest daddy in the park 300kph+ club
  • No idea how to make her happy!

• Drives: too many cars for one ass
Yep, experience from past owners of them have said that the SMG gearbox was its only downfall. Very clunky around town, but the engine was pure F1.
DSG/SMG - meh :p
You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot.

Offline JBO

• Drives: Something that doesn't meet my aspirations...yet...
It was offered with a manual in the US market if I am not mistaken. Would a conversion be possible?
This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you. - C Montgomery Burns.

Offline M308

• Degranged

• Name: Scott Thomson

Offline M308

• Degranged

Offline M500

IMHO the E60 M5 was a fantastic car for its time - a comfortable saloon that can blitz 0 - 100 in 4.5sec. Sure people complained of the SMG but for its time it was still amazing.

Now 10-years on and at a price of $45k, this is an unbeatable opportunity to get into a classy German built car with that V10 engine! As others have said, it may well become a classic in its own right!  Not too much out there for this price range that compares IMO.

Offline robertb

• Poll Dancer

IMHO the E60 M5 was a fantastic car for its time - a comfortable saloon that can blitz 0 - 100 in 4.5sec. Sure people complained of the SMG but for its time it was still amazing.

Now 10-years on and at a price of $45k, this is an unbeatable opportunity to get into a classy German built car with that V10 engine! As others have said, it may well become a classic in its own right!  Not too much out there for this price range that compares IMO.
if you can afford to run one as a 10 year old car .....buy it someone just for the V10

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.
So the V10 has built up a good reputation now? I remember looking at buying an 850, I still love the look of them but the engine had such a bad reputation it put me off buying one.

Offline M308

• Degranged

So the V10 has built up a good reputation now? I remember looking at buying an 850, I still love the look of them but the engine had such a bad reputation it put me off buying one.
I think the V10 is in a totally different league to the V12  :)

Offline robertb

• Poll Dancer

I think the V10 is in a totally different league to the V12  :)
How much of the current BMW V12 is of the original design .

I remember at the time when it cam out it was regarded as old hate even in the late 1980s?

I'm surprised if it still runs the same heads why RR and others would use such an old engine.