Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
Haven't read the article, but I guess the problem with the 7 series, is the 6 and 5 series.

Offline CortinaD

I read the review and it gives me the impression, as with other reviews of the bimmers, that the people who test them are old and scared of the technology and would rather a benz with a button for everything than to learn a logical menu system and take advantage of what the car can do for them. I liken it to Office 2007 everyone when they first use it hate it but now they love it. Either way people still buy the car and I see more 7ers on the road although been seeing a lot of Audis lately.

What on earth have they done to the kidney grills. Other than that I like the look off all 3 cars tested.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Haven't read the article, but I guess the problem with the 7 series, is the 6 and 5 series.

No, the problem is the S-Class.

I read the review and it gives me the impression, as with other reviews of the bimmers, that the people who test them are old and scared of the technology and would rather a benz with a button for everything than to learn a logical menu system and take advantage of what the car can do for them.

Owners have every incentive to learn to love their cars - I guess road testers don't.  They only have the car for a couple of days. Mind you, I had I-drive for 3 years and hated it every day.

I'd be surprised if the road testers are older than the cars' customers if pics in magazines are anything to go by.   

• Soap Dodger

No, the problem is the S-Class.

ok, my point was, that if you compared a 5 or 6 series instead of the 7... it may have fared better due to the lower price with ~equal features.....

why buy a 7 series for similar money, when a 5 or 6 will be ~ up to 20% cheaper

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

why buy a 7 series for similar money, when a 5 or 6 will be ~ up to 20% cheaper

Well, for one thing, to show you have 20% more to spend than the 5 series buyer.  :p

• Soap Dodger

Well, for one thing, to show you have 20% more to spend than the 5 series buyer.  :p

:doh:
silly me!

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al

I drove a chunk of the new 7 series range (750, 740, 730d) and while they were all amazingly competent - they didn't feel 'special' in any particular way. Jumping into a now heavily depreciated Bentley Arnage (we're talking 100K now) felt like an event, jumping into the 7's felt like being picked up from the airport by a chap named Ismael who was doing local theatre waiting for his break co-starring in a movie with John Farnham.

The 730d seems a nice place to roll through about a million k's of road, but it's not an exciting place to be. Telling us that it's not noisy or rattly isn't much of a sell, I can't imagine anyone looking at these cars was even thinking about dealing with noises or rattles.

The 740 was lost - if you're getting a 7 series, and you're not a limo company, then it's kinda stuck there without a lot to differentiate it.

The 750 was a great drive, that twin-turbo engine is a big surprise and the car does punt along. Part of the problem though may be that it never feels as fast as it is. You're definitely moving, but the car doesn't communicate that speed. Perhaps the key market is guys who want to keep them in the garage so they can definitively brag about the stats without worrying about the experience.

Uber's got a 5 series as a work/meeting car, so it's not like I dis-like the brand - I'm reflecting the lack of any real positioning that these cars seem to have, and guessing at why anyone who wasn't already a die-hard fan would spend the not inconsiderable coin on them.
C'mon, do it!