Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

One of the most controversially-designed but immensely satisfying driverís cars, the BMW Z4, is almost at its tailís end. These are the latest spy photos of its replacement, the 2010 version which has been spied a few times before already. The roof looks like a two-piece hard-top convertible which if it makes it into final production, will mark BMW Zís first foray into tin top territory.

What makes these particular pictures special, apart from the red colour, is how little effort BMW has put into hiding the car from us. Of course 9 out of 10 times they get found out anyway, which is why we still advocate for a Ďless is moreí policy across the board from all manufacturers in future. Ok, we can dream canít we?

Even in this state a few details are still under wraps, like the front and rear lights, the latter though giving clear clues as to the styling direction the Z4 is taking. We can see how the rear bumper convexes toward the concave boot lid. Z4 is expected to show its first public face at Detroit in January 2009, with production commencing a few months later in Germany.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

I don't mind the look of this.

(No Mondial owner jokers OK)

BMW has provided automotive fans with an early Christmas present with the release of the first official details and images of the all-new 2010 BMW Z4 Roadster. Despite bleak economic times, BMW will be looking to continue the long term success of its roadster series.

At launch the Z4 will be offered with three different engine options. The top of the line Z4 sDrive35i features the award winning 3.0-litre twin-turbocharged engine that has already been successfully deployed in the 135i and 335i. It pumps out 306hp (228Kw) and 400Nm of torque (295lb-ft) and enables the roadster to launch from 0-62mph in just 5.2 seconds. For those consumers looking to take the optional Double Clutch Transmission system, an extra 0.1 seconds is wiped off this acceleration figure.

The entry level Z4 sDrive23i gets a I6 powerplant with a displacement of 2,497cc, power output lies at 204hp (152 kW) and 250Nm(184lb-ft) of torque. The final engine option is the sDrive30i with a 258hp(192 kW) 3-liter engine with 210Nm(228lb-ft) of torque. All three powerplants abide by the strict EU5 emissions standard taking the BMW roadster into the next decade with much to be excited about.

The new 2010 model features a retractable hard-top, the first time we have seen this in a BMW Z series model. Raised or lowered in 20 seconds, the hard-top weighs much more than the soft-top version offered in previous model series which is sure to hinder the performance.

To counter this effect, the Bavarian automaker has introduced a host of new technologies, starting with the Adaptive M Suspension system. The ride height can be raised or lowered by up to 10mm with a choice of three different configurations. Additionally, the driving experience is enhanced with the Drive Dynamic Control function (another first for the Z series) which dynamically alters both the steering and throttle responses.

The world debut is scheduled for the Detroit Auto Show next month.

Offline M500

Not bad... better looking than the existing one

Offline jim501

• Idiot Seeking Village

• Name: Cam
^ yeah a lot sharper than the current one. Still don't think I could do it though

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com