Offline CortinaD

Tweaking the throttle is what the m3 sport button does makes it feel quicker but really isn't. They need to mess with other things.

Offline dkabab

Tweaking the throttle is what the m3 sport button does makes it feel quicker but really isn't. They need to mess with other things.

yeah sorry i didnt mean that was the only thing they do.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Great numbers for the M5.  Would it be even quicker across the quarter with the stock 19" wheels on or do the lower profile 21" tyres help in some way?

Offline dkabab

drag cars have big sidewalls.... i would assume this wouldnt be any different

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com

Probably referring to any change in circumference and therefore gearing.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Drag car slicks have a big soft sidewall for a few reasons.

They are designed for maximum grip and the side walls wrinkle to launch you. And they wrinkle also to cope with the massive loading they receive.

They also provide a little bit of suspension as well. Some Funny cars rear suspension is non existent.

Offline dkabab

so he would benefit from a similar setup? within reason of course... like maybe some bf goodrich drag radials...

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

so he would benefit from a similar setup? within reason of course... like maybe some bf goodrich drag radials...

I would say that going a set of drag slicks would not hurt, should improve the launch out of the hole.

Years ago when I had the old Dodge Dart(not the Go-go mobile Dart) I spent a few dollars on a BB Hemi to go under the "Hood".
Well, with the extra HP I only found about 1/2 second over the SB V8 that was in there, which caused me no end of pain.
Anyhoo, once the suspension was sorted out and the rear set up for "Mickey Thomson's" I was getting flat 12s out of it.   :cool:

Not bad for a big old piece of Yankee junk.   ;)

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter
too much wheel spin, but still, same e/t but much higher trap speed. why?

http://www.pless.com.au/f40/f40drag.mpeg

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
too much wheel spin, but still, same e/t but much higher trap speed. why?

Wouldn't that be kinda your answer?  Say it took you the first 50m to actually get power down and you really didn't hit the sweet spot in your power until you were half way in - at this stage the M5 is well ahead of you with it's good power delivery and consistent acceleration rate.

So finally at the halfway point everything is in the sweet spot - you catch up and by the finish line you are neck-a-neck...  you're obviously travelling a lot faster.

btw: http://aussieexotics.com/forum/ferrari-videos/aircons-f40-dragstrip-video-t189.0.html

Latest Discussions