Offline waz356

Next car = Exige.

When you've taken the depreciation hit I might be ready to buy it off you.  :)  Get krypton-green, white or black please. :D

I'd prefer orange with black wheels myself.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I've taken the M5 off the market for now.  I'll see how the 911 goes for a bit longer as a daily driver before I do anything rash.

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
I've taken the M5 off the market for now.  I'll see how the 911 goes for a bit longer as a daily driver before I do anything rash.

How surreal.

There's many regulars here, and we're all varying degrees above the poverty line, but every now and then it suddenly hits me that while we're at the keyboard discussing this stuff, there's people out there with no roof over their head, no decent medical care, etc etc etc.

Not meaning anything by this off topic post - just typing as I think, and wondering if anyone else has this in the back of their mind.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

How surreal.

There's many regulars here, and we're all varying degrees above the poverty line, but every now and then it suddenly hits me that while we're at the keyboard discussing this stuff, there's people out there with no roof over their head, no decent medical care, etc etc etc.

Not meaning anything by this off topic post - just typing as I think, and wondering if anyone else has this in the back of their mind.

Probably best to log off websites about exotic cars for a while when you get these thoughts.  :p

Fortunately the government has invented a highly effective way for people like us to help fellow citizens who can't help themselves.  It's called tax.  ;)

Offline leburpor

• Loves Tom Cruise

...while we're at the keyboard discussing this stuff, there's people out there with no roof over their head, no decent medical care, etc etc etc.

yes, it is just so unfair and unjust that I can't afford to buy a Porsche 997 GT2..... :irked: It's all everyone else's fault... :gnasher:

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
That's ok.  Didn't Mark just offer to tax himself more and buy us all new Porsches?  :scratchchin:

Offline leburpor

• Loves Tom Cruise

That's ok.  Didn't Mark just offer to tax himself more and buy us all new Porsches?  :scratchchin:

Well if the cars were purchased and depreciated rapidly due to his marketing departments extensive use of it as an advertising medium, then he'd actually pay LESS TAX!  :D

goober

Mark,
go back to the previous M5 and see where its at now as a value and that will be your key index indicator to where your car will sit, unlike other BMW's the M3 is about the only one to hold its value somewhat, traditionally the marque of BMW has been more user friendly to those where the value of the original purchase price was under the 200k, aka M3, 3 series and base 5 series, when the original purchase price is over 200k the depreciation level is horrid aka 7 series and 8 series. Its interesting to note that the original E36 M3 5 speed 3.0 litre in reasonable km status is still hovering around the 30 - 40K mark. This is a 1993 car when it was 132k new, the M5 of 1999 (V8 model) being 200k new is now well below 80k..........it doesnt make sense i know but if in your case you wanted something that went like the clappers and still was worth good money after say 3 - 4 years the new M3 would be an option.
I maintain the CSL M3 (E46) being over 220k has reduced more quickly than the standard M3.
Stick to your gut instincts, the 911 carrera S is a great daily car, for fun factor try the 430 even if you get a low km second hand one to cover the initial loss, i see your problem as being that having had a Gallardo a step backwards is hard and the next level up invokes huge money. So in essence look for something that you will enjoy as a weekender with look factor to boot.
Some choices of notable interest:
360CS
V8 Vantage
each of these have the reputation of dropping big time in depreciation so a low Km used one may be your answer.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Mark,
go back to the previous M5 and see where its at now as a value and that will be your key index indicator to where your car will sit, unlike other BMW's the M3 is about the only one to hold its value somewhat, traditionally the marque of BMW has been more user friendly to those where the value of the original purchase price was under the 200k, aka M3, 3 series and base 5 series, when the original purchase price is over 200k the depreciation level is horrid aka 7 series and 8 series. Its interesting to note that the original E36 M3 5 speed 3.0 litre in reasonable km status is still hovering around the 30 - 40K mark. This is a 1993 car when it was 132k new, the M5 of 1999 (V8 model) being 200k new is now well below 80k..........it doesnt make sense i know but if in your case you wanted something that went like the clappers and still was worth good money after say 3 - 4 years the new M3 would be an option.
I maintain the CSL M3 (E46) being over 220k has reduced more quickly than the standard M3.
Stick to your gut instincts, the 911 carrera S is a great daily car, for fun factor try the 430 even if you get a low km second hand one to cover the initial loss, i see your problem as being that having had a Gallardo a step backwards is hard and the next level up invokes huge money. So in essence look for something that you will enjoy as a weekender with look factor to boot.
Some choices of notable interest:
360CS
V8 Vantage
each of these have the reputation of dropping big time in depreciation so a low Km used one may be your answer.

Good post with some good ideas.  The guys on Fchat (360/430 section) revere the CS so maybe I should look at one of those sometime.  The Vantage is too much in the 911 mould to be of real interest though.

goober

Good post with some good ideas.  The guys on Fchat (360/430 section) revere the CS so maybe I should look at one of those sometime.  The Vantage is too much in the 911 mould to be of real interest though.
Mark,
i nearly bought a 360CS in Auckland last Friday, they are a beautiful car, and are appointed in a raw but exotic fashion. This one was red without that bad taste stripe, 2500km and well optioned, for $300,000