Offline Jamezilla

• Drives: BMWs for everyone!
  • Name: James
Hi all
Am looking for a weekender and a neo-classic BMW ticks all kids of boxes.
Thinking about this: http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=11019985

Has a retrofitted 3.5 and a few other non-standard items that make it pretty close spec to an Alpina B9. Albeit moving it away from the 528-M which has some minor Aus significance being a Gardner 'developed' model...
Looks pretty neat from the photos and good value (17" Alpina rims run about $2k alone). Is purely for me to have something to tinker with and enjoy some daddy-daughter days out.

Any thoughts / key points to check / good BMW places in Sydney to cast an eye over it?
For $7k it's almost worth taking a punt, but would rather make an informed decision.

Thanks
J

Offline alvchua

• Drives: Old junks
Hi all
Am looking for a weekender and a neo-classic BMW ticks all kids of boxes.
Thinking about this: http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=11019985

Has a retrofitted 3.5 and a few other non-standard items that make it pretty close spec to an Alpina B9. Albeit moving it away from the 528-M which has some minor Aus significance being a Gardner 'developed' model...
Looks pretty neat from the photos and good value (17" Alpina rims run about $2k alone). Is purely for me to have something to tinker with and enjoy some daddy-daughter days out.

Any thoughts / key points to check / good BMW places in Sydney to cast an eye over it?
For $7k it's almost worth taking a punt, but would rather make an informed decision.

Thanks
J
Hi  - Rob McBrien of Bee-Ems in the Northern suburbs comes highly recommended by my mechanic. I am about to use him to conduct a mechanical inspection on a E30 M3 I have just paid a deposit on as I am in SA.

As for the E28 M-sport pack - certainly is a fantastic sleeper IMHO. In fact - on our track days, there is a similar spec 528i Msport that my mechanic and a fellow enthusiast co-own and drive - bloody fast car with decent handling to boot!

In the UK at least the E28 M5 had the same M88/3 engine as the E24 M635CSi - which itself was an evolution of the same M88/1 engine in the M1 pro-cars. I am currently using my E24 M635CSi as my daily driver and love the revvy nature of the engine! I'm sure the Alpina  specs can only help as long as u r not too fussed about "originality". The M30 engine bottom that this 3.5 presumably has is certainly a long stayer for BMW being in use from the 3.0 CS in 1972 right up to the mid 80s.  It has a reputation of being able to achieve in the high 200-300k kms as the single timing chain is very durable!

Good luck with ur decision making!

Alvin
Forgiveness is easier to achieve than permission!

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al

Great car - it's on half a dozen forums so if it actually drives then grab it!

We've used Eurotech Auto up on Paramatta Road Haberfield for PPI's on a few cars - he's not bad on Beeemers.

PM me if you need contact details   :)
C'mon, do it!

Offline Jamezilla

• Drives: BMWs for everyone!
  • Name: James
Thanks Als
I have a friend in Sydney going to do a 'seat-o-the-pants' inspection on the weekend. Shall keep you posted.
J

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
Thanks Als
I have a friend in Sydney going to do a 'seat-o-the-pants' inspection on the weekend. Shall keep you posted.
J

ooh, they're good those ones..

make sure he tops that off with a "hands and knees" check over too!