Offline M500

As some you know, I have had the M5 for sale. Today I recieved confirmation that the buyer's fnance was approved. Delivery will be on Friday. It is a sad day to sell my first semi-supercar.

However I am also looking forward to buying another exotic soon.

RIP M5 :(

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Congrats on finalising the sale.

What's next?  What's your summary of the M5?

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Yeah, what's on the wish list??  :)

Offline M500

Congrats on finalising the sale.

What's next?  What's your summary of the M5?

As far as what's next... I am going to sit out of the market for a little while for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I want to see where the market for prestige cars is heading in the current economic climate. From what I can hear it is heading south very quickly and there will be a certain proportion of owners out there (present company exempt I assume) who will be, lets say, "motivated" to get out of their cars. I am not a new car buyer, I prefer to purchase something that is a year or two old and still under warranty and this is where I beleive there will be some genuine value to be had.

Secondly (& partially related to reason one), I have sold a few assets recently to financially prepare myself in readiness for potential buying opportunities in the property market, for me at a relaitvely young age, I need to cash up as much as I can so I can be confident and move quickly to secure the right deals.

When the opporunity comes along, I am interested in buying something with 2-doors and a little more nimble than the M5, but at this stage I am not in any raging hurry.

The M5 was my first ownership experience with a semi-exotic car. Having come from a modified Commodore childhood to a modified Nissan early adulthood, the M5 was a fantastic car in comparison with any other car I had owned. My experience started with a need for something prestige with 4-doors (1st child arrived in 2007) and some power, so I tried to be sensible and chose the MB E500 which only lasted about 6-months before I realised that I needed something that I could drive hard when the opportunity presented itself and particularly on Sunday mornings (I will miss this part the most about selling the M5), so I traded the E500 for the M5.

The M5 was such a different car to the E500 and indeed the E55 AMG that I test drove in that it is a true sporting type car as opposed to a nice and comfortable luxury sedan with a powerful motor shoehorned into it. I really loved the endless power, great (for a sedan) handling and the fantastic interior with all its gadgetry (yes... I actually like the I-Drive). The car also was good to own because only enthusiasts really knew that it wasnt a standard 5-series.

Ownership wasnt without its negatives though. I went through a clutch/ flywhhel after 15k, there was constant issues with the sunroof (excess noise and jamming), interior squeaks and poor quality finishings on some interior parts, excessive oil consuption and not that it was a huge issue but the well documented fuel consuption of the M5 made the 63-litre impractical.

Overall, I really think the M5 is the best 4-door performance sedan available today. It has plenty of room, great handling (for a 4-door) and immense power to produce near supercar performance. Would I own another one? As a family car... Yes, as a sports car... probably not because of the weight and handling near the limit.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
...I am not a new car buyer, I prefer to purchase something that is a year or two old and still under warranty and this is where I beleive there will be some genuine value to be had....

You fit the exact profile of the people mhh is looking for after about a year of owning a car. :)

Offline leburpor

• Loves Tom Cruise

Was it last night that someone mentioned there's a AM DB9 for sale for 230k? Would that be an option? Otherwise, 996 Turbo  :thumbsup:

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Otherwise, 996 Turbo  :thumbsup:

I saw one of those parked a few spaces from you - QLD plates...