Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
Import costs are about 6k and you have to own the vehicle for a year before the aussie government will consider letting you import it. The import process takes about 5 months.
But why would someone want to buy a uk car over an Aussie car?    In reality your car is being imported as a personal import that means it is NOT complied to Australian standards!!!   There will always be a risk that if the government changes it's rules in the future or if you let the cars rego lapse for some reason, you may loose the right for that car to get registered again. Not to mention that as a personal import if for some reason you want to register the car, most insurance will not accept your car in Australia.

Not to mention having to break the 100 000km mileage limit over this time means there is an extremely high chance the car has been driving just as much on salted roads as it has on unsalted roads, why would an Australian pay anywhere near Aussie prices for your car?    I live in europe and my runaroun car here (which I just sold)  is only 3 years old and the amount of rust already building up is worrying, components on the car are rusting, many risks, too many variables. Chances are the car will come over, you will register it, you won't be able to sell it, if you can it will be very cheap. Very very cheap. Maybe you are bringing it over because you have heard about people making money from importing exotics from uk to aus? But these cars are rarely driven on salted roads, they arnt even driven all winter.

If you had an exotic, something rare, a cult desired car or if it was a car you could import and comply as a PRIVATE import instead of a personal import (car gets a purple compliance sticker and is fully approved to meet australian requirements) then yes you could get a price closer to an australian delivered  car.

If you like the car and want to own it in Australia then that's fine, if i were you i would drive it untill  you run it into the ground, then strip it out and turn it into a weekend track car and sell the parts you stripped, but to try and make money from it by selling it as a whole car is extremely unlikely. If it does sell it will be cheap and the whole operation for you would have been a waste of time, money, effort.

However you only need one buyer who isn't very with it, and you could get lucky.   Good luck.
You can say I'm wrong, but my garage doesn't agree with that statement!!!

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides

Ok, so this one is worth whatever it would be on pistonheads, plus maybe $3k for convenience of it actually being here and registered etc....

Whats it worth on pistonheads uk?

http://classifieds.pistonheads.com/classifieds?Category=used-cars&Keyword=330&KeywordCleanedValue=330&M=917

$15k would be strong money IMO.

Snatch the first offer over $12k I suggest...

Yeah I agree with maximum being 15k, if similar spec in Australia is asking $23k (sell for $20k or less), $15k probably for the private import (if there was such a thing with this model). Personal would be lucky IMO to get anywhere near 15k.

FYI
I know of a 2009 e63 imported to aus, it sold for $55k when same age e63's were ~$200k at the time( end of last year).     Personal imports are really really hard to predict.

Offline tooktheredpill

But why would someone want to buy a uk car over an Aussie car?    In reality your car is being imported as a personal import that means it is NOT complied to Australian standards!!!   There will always be a risk that if the government changes it's rules in the future or if you let the cars rego lapse for some reason, you may loose the right for that car to get registered again. Not to mention that as a personal import if for some reason you want to register the car, most insurance will not accept your car in Australia.

Not to mention having to break the 100 000km mileage limit over this time means there is an extremely high chance the car has been driving just as much on salted roads as it has on unsalted roads, why would an Australian pay anywhere near Aussie prices for your car?    I live in europe and my runaroun car here (which I just sold)  is only 3 years old and the amount of rust already building up is worrying, components on the car are rusting, many risks, too many variables. Chances are the car will come over, you will register it, you won't be able to sell it, if you can it will be very cheap. Very very cheap. Maybe you are bringing it over because you have heard about people making money from importing exotics from uk to aus? But these cars are rarely driven on salted roads, they arnt even driven all winter.

If you had an exotic, something rare, a cult desired car or if it was a car you could import and comply as a PRIVATE import instead of a personal import (car gets a purple compliance sticker and is fully approved to meet australian requirements) then yes you could get a price closer to an australian delivered  car.

If you like the car and want to own it in Australia then that's fine, if i were you i would drive it untill  you run it into the ground, then strip it out and turn it into a weekend track car and sell the parts you stripped, but to try and make money from it by selling it as a whole car is extremely unlikely. If it does sell it will be cheap and the whole operation for you would have been a waste of time, money, effort.

However you only need one buyer who isn't very with it, and you could get lucky.   Good luck.

It is compliant, registered and I have full comprehensive insurance for 700. True many insurance companies dont like imports. Anyway since you cant get 6 speed manual 4 door sports here I thought Id see if anyone was interested but more than happy to keep it. It is a bimmer after all. =)