Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
Many years ago (as in decades) it was quite normal to have to top up the engine oil between services. Then technology advanced and oil top ups seemed to be a thing of the past, to the point that service intervals increased and manufacturers used this in their marketing. Service intervals of 20,000km's became the norm.

In recent times the BMW engines, particularly the "M" ones, require oil top ups between services again. Sometimes multiple top ups of a litre at a time. Both my wifes garden variety X3 six cylinder and my X5M use oil, and in the X5M's case it's annoyingly frequent. I have asked the head spanner at Stilwells and his response is that BMW state that using anything up to 1 litre per 1000 km's is considered to be "acceptable"   :scratchchin: In what bloody universe was my response  :p

I don't understand it at all. I've been driving BMW's for about 25 years now and never had an issue right up until I sold the CSL. The next 2 have used oil and the X5M has been an all round reliability shocker.

Any idea why they new ones use oil ?

Offline CortinaD

My two e46 330 and m3 used about a litre of oil per 3000 kms or so and the both magically stopped using any after the 35k point.

The mini has used 500ml in 2000 kms will report what that's like as time goes on.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

My two e46 330 and m3 used about a litre of oil per 3000 kms or so and the both magically stopped using any after the 35k point.

The mini has used 500ml in 2000 kms will report what that's like as time goes on.

My E46 CSL never required a top up to the best of my recollection. It had 105,000 km's on it when I sold it and it was as tight as a drum.

The X5M has just under 50,000 km's on it now. Can't see it improving from here.
It's like they were designed to use oil, weird  :scratchchin:

Offline deangpsx8

• I Am Legend
  • I am legend in my own lunchbox

• Drives: Everyone Crazy
  • Name: Dean
  • www: Intellitrac.com.au
I have a current twin turbo X5 Diesel and a current 325 coupe.
Both need about a litre top up just a few weeks prior to service.

Both have been extremely reliable cars.
Persistence Beats Resistance

Offline robertb

• Poll Dancer

30 years ago...engines were expected to use oil for lubrication,but now.
My old Rangie is a BMW V8 unit,done 95,000ks never topped it up between sevices.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

I have a current twin turbo X5 Diesel and a current 325 coupe.
Both need about a litre top up just a few weeks prior to service.

Both have been extremely reliable cars.

Briefly, the X5M saga goes like this:

Vibration at 90-115kmh, feels like it's coming through chassis. Checked wheel balance independently (perfect); but dealer tries to fob me off saying they need balancing. Then they tried to blame the fact that the car had been repainted and it was somehow "damaged" in the paint oven  :doh: My response, so every car that gets repaired from accident damage and spends time in the oven is therefore fucked afterwards ???Car goes back several times before I explode and they get serious.
The following were replaced:
-full set of wheels
-2 tyres
-driveshafts
-tail shaft
-differential

Now I have oil leaks all over my garage and still have vibration, albeit 75% or so better.

Then I get a warning on dashboard- steering failure, pull over immediately and get car towed. Felt ok, so drove it to the dealer. They then replaced:
-steering rack and all associated active suspension hardware etc. Huge job apparently.

Through all this the car has been at the dealer for months at a time. BMW Australia got involved as I complained to someone way up the chain. In the end the vibration was fixed, car seems ok and I got extra warranty on the car which will see my ownership out.

Real shame as it's a fantastic family wagon that goes like the proverbial, handles way better than it has any right to and is generally nice to drive.

Offline scud

• 300kph+ club
  • Rocket man

Offline robertb

• Poll Dancer

Should of gone the GL500.

Great rig.
ex business partner has one,raves about it as a family unit.

Offline robertb

• Poll Dancer

Briefly, the X5M saga goes like this:

Vibration at 90-115kmh, feels like it's coming through chassis. Checked wheel balance independently (perfect); but dealer tries to fob me off saying they need balancing. Then they tried to blame the fact that the car had been repainted and it was somehow "damaged" in the paint oven  :doh: My response, so every car that gets repaired from accident damage and spends time in the oven is therefore fucked afterwards ???Car goes back several times before I explode and they get serious.
The following were replaced:
-full set of wheels
-2 tyres
-driveshafts
-tail shaft
-differential

Now I have oil leaks all over my garage and still have vibration, albeit 75% or so better.

Then I get a warning on dashboard- steering failure, pull over immediately and get car towed. Felt ok, so drove it to the dealer. They then replaced:
-steering rack and all associated active suspension hardware etc. Huge job apparently.

Through all this the car has been at the dealer for months at a time. BMW Australia got involved as I complained to someone way up the chain. In the end the vibration was fixed, car seems ok and I got extra warranty on the car which will see my ownership out.

Real shame as it's a fantastic family wagon that goes like the proverbial, handles way better than it has any right to and is generally nice to drive.
Scott,something has happened to that car before you bought it.IMO get rid of it before the warranty time is up and the tear up is greater then it is now.

Offline 916senna

• 300kph+ club

• Drives: Remote controlled battery powered toy
Funny you bring that up
E46 M3 never made it between services without a top up
Current M3 hasn't made it either.
Just went for a drive with eldest on L's in X5, stopped engine and oil low symbol came on. asked boss have you seen that oil can symbol come on recently......yes its been doing it for a couple of weeks, been meaning to ask you about that. :doh:

I wonder what BMW would say if engine popped and oil was low, don't worry they all do that !