Offline Paulstar

Thanks for the feedback on the CX-5 mhh, Neru  :thumbsup: The car tomorrow is a 2006 model - no warranty. I shared that list of issues with her she must've rang BMW they have a 2009 for 45k. These cars were never on my radar previously, i think 45 is too much. Anyway not my decision to make  :p, we'll see tomorrow maybe check out the private sale one, the dealer's one and a CX-5.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

FYI the cx-5 is very thirsty other than that there pretty good

Thirsty?  As a diesel? 

Offline alvchua

• Drives: Old junks
$45k for a 3 year old X3 is way overpriced IMO! Even if it is the top of the range 3.0 petrol or diesel!
Forgiveness is easier to achieve than permission!

Offline alvchua

Thirsty?  As a diesel?
I did hear that the mazdas had that issue ESP in petrol versions and more so in the CX9. In fact a friend was complaining of consistently more than 18l/100km in combined city and hills driving!

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I did hear that the mazdas had that issue ESP in petrol versions and more so in the CX9. In fact a friend was complaining of consistently more than 18l/100km in combined city and hills driving!

From Wiki

The CX-5 is available with both front and all-wheel drive, powered by a 2.0 petrol four-cylinder engine (PE-VPS) sporting 162 bhp (121 kW; 164 PS)/155 lbft (210 Nm) averaging an estimated 28 mpg-imp (10 L/100 km; 23 mpg-US) emitting around 139 g/km.[20] It will also be available with a 2.2 liter two-stage turbocharged diesel (SH-VPTS) with either 147 bhp (110 kW; 149 PS)/280 lbft (380 Nm) or 173 bhp (129 kW; 175 PS)/310 lbft (420 Nm), emitting an estimated 119 and 139 g/km, respectively. The EPA rated the CX-5's gas mileage as the best in its class, averaging 26mpg city and 35mpg highway, which Mazda claims is the best mileage of any non-hybrid SUV.[21] Fuel consumption for the entry-level diesel engine with front wheel drive is 63 mpg-imp (4.5 L/100 km; 52 mpg-US).

Looks like the diesel is the one to get in CX-5

Re X3, I'm the wrong guy to comment as I've never owned an SUV but they haven't impressed me in the showroom.  I don't get this big on the outside, small on the inside thing on many SUV's I've seen.

Offline alvchua

From Wiki

The CX-5 is available with both front and all-wheel drive, powered by a 2.0 petrol four-cylinder engine (PE-VPS) sporting 162 bhp (121 kW; 164 PS)/155 lbft (210 Nm) averaging an estimated 28 mpg-imp (10 L/100 km; 23 mpg-US) emitting around 139 g/km.[20] It will also be available with a 2.2 liter two-stage turbocharged diesel (SH-VPTS) with either 147 bhp (110 kW; 149 PS)/280 lbft (380 Nm) or 173 bhp (129 kW; 175 PS)/310 lbft (420 Nm), emitting an estimated 119 and 139 g/km, respectively. The EPA rated the CX-5's gas mileage as the best in its class, averaging 26mpg city and 35mpg highway, which Mazda claims is the best mileage of any non-hybrid SUV.[21] Fuel consumption for the entry-level diesel engine with front wheel drive is 63 mpg-imp (4.5 L/100 km; 52 mpg-US).

Looks like the diesel is the one to get in CX-5

Re X3, I'm the wrong guy to comment as I've never owned an SUV but they haven't impressed me in the showroom.  I don't get this big on the outside, small on the inside thing on many SUV's I've seen.
To be fair, the previous X3 didn't drive too badly, esp in diesel form but very deceiving - small on inside!

Love our X5 though - the Twin turbo Diesel - still doesn't cease to amaze me how quick it is -  But m glad it's not my daily - it's my wife's mobile supermarket storage cart! :-)

Offline mtarone

Love our X5 though - the Twin turbo Diesel - still doesn't cease to amaze me how quick it is -  But m glad it's not my daily - it's my wife's mobile supermarket storage cart! :-)
The X70's are very good.
My wife wants another one after I traded hers to get the 1m   :D
Problem is we need more boot space and it actually doesnt have a massive boot.

Offline mtarone

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
Thanks, the car needs to go from Pyrmont to Maquarie park and back each day so fuel economy etc are being considered. Good to hear your wife's X3 experience wasn't as bad as these other guys.

Can I ask, what year was your wife's car, at how many K's did the diff blow and at how many K's did you sell the vehicle?

Thanks!
Paul

She still owns it and it's an early 2008  3ltr petrol sport something or other model.. Diff problems were early on, replaced  at  around
15,000 km's. It's got 45,000 kms on it now. No further issues at all.
It's a handy size for a woman and that was important for the wife as she was coming from an SLK Mercedes. Flip side is it's very small inside and as a result I really don't like it that much. My boys are 3 and 4.5 yrs and they find the lack of legroom annoying, remembering they are in child seats as well. I'm 6ft and I am curled up like Quasimodo when I'm in the front passenger seat.
The X5 is so much better in every department; but it's a lot more expensive and a big car.

Other X3 issue is everything useful was optional on base models and to an extent on top model which my wife owns.  Buying 2nd hand you will almost certainly be missing a few things you might expect.

Would I buy another? No, probably not; but it's the lack of interior space that seals it's fate for me.

Offline ferrarista2

• Drives: Slowly
Thanks for the feedback on the CX-5 mhh, Neru  :thumbsup: The car tomorrow is a 2006 model - no warranty. I shared that list of issues with her she must've rang BMW they have a 2009 for 45k. These cars were never on my radar previously, i think 45 is too much. Anyway not my decision to make  :p, we'll see tomorrow maybe check out the private sale one, the dealer's one and a CX-5.
Ditch em all and tell him to get a rav4!!
Everything looks better in carbon fibre