Offline PhatTomcat

Thought I'd ask for the educated advice of you fine people..

I'm in the position where I'd like to get a Gallardo and have found in my budget a choice between an '07-'08 Superleggera or an early LP560-4. Similar price point from a couple of examples I've seen on carless.com.au.

I really like the Superleggera and if the budget suited I'd go for a LP570-4 version. But it doesn't.

What I'm keen to know is people's experience with these, or if someone has had experience with both which they found the more rewarding driving experience.

I'm curious to know if the improvements of the LP560-4 makes it a better car to own than the original Superleggera.

I'm aware of the harder nature (and seats) of the SG. The car is not a daily drive.

Thanks in advance for advice and anecdotes!

Tom

Offline 9911

Hi Tom,

If you are a driver and like the pure feel of a supercar than a Superleg is the car for you. Rough, firm suspension, noisy, clunky, beautiful. Good for driving once a month with a couple of other like minded guys in GT3RS' and 430Scuds.

On the otherhand if the car is to be taken out on the weekends with you and your wife to enjoy a drive through the hills with some other like minded enthusiasts then the LP560 will do this much more comfortably and easily.

I'd take the gen2 egear...There's a good spec white car on carsales at the moment ;)

Offline E7ITE

Take both for a test drive and you will probably realise which one you prefer.

Offline jamesatfish

Are you looking at Manual or e-gear?

If you're looking at a manual, and haven't driven a manual Gallardo before, take note of the lack of a foot rest for your left foot.  That alone was a deal breaker for me.

If you're looking at an e-gear, the LP series is a million times better, even if you're not going to be daily driving it in traffic. Although the early Superleggera will be slightly lighter (and will feel sportier given the alcantara interior and bucket seats), the LP has an extra 40hp, shorter gearing especially in 1st and 2nd, and a massively improved driveline.  Corsa mode in the LP cars will change gears more ferociously than even the Superleggera in the old series cars.

Offline ACP

• Lives in a Metro Tangerine

• Drives: McLaren

Offline PhatTomcat

Thanks for the early replies. Apologies for the double post of this thread; I've PM'ed a moderator to fix it for me.

9911: yep, I know the white LP560-4 your'e talking about. That's about my budget point to answer your question ACP. There's a couple of Superleggera's for mid 2's as well. Hence the comparison.

Jamesatfish: I've not driven a manual but was keen to try one. Finding a SG will manual seems a hard task. In fact; finding a LP series with manual is a hard task as well. But I was aware of the LP series having better e-gear than the earlier cars.

E7ITE: I'm keen to try out a few and go from there.

Offline 916senna

• 300kph+ club

• Drives: Remote controlled battery powered toy
If you're looking at an e-gear, the LP series is a million times better, even if you're not going to be daily driving it in traffic. Although the early Superleggera will be slightly lighter (and will feel sportier given the alcantara interior and bucket seats), the LP has an extra 40hp, shorter gearing especially in 1st and 2nd, and a massively improved driveline.  Corsa mode in the LP cars will change gears more ferociously than even the Superleggera in the old series cars.
Agree with everything you say except the 07-08 SLG has the shorter first and second gears. The revised ratios came in on post July 06 builds. Having owned an 08 SLG I'd go for the LP for the seats alone.

Tom, check service records really carefully, there might be some surprises out there...........

Offline Brenton

• 300kph+ club
  • DJ's like a mad ...........

• Drives: Yes

Tom, check service records really carefully, there might be some surprises out there...........

I think this needs to be repeated to ensure Tom does check

Offline PhatTomcat

916senna: thanks for the info. This is the stuff I needed to know! Yep: I've seen a few SLG fitted with standard (still alcantara covered) seats around - like the green LP570-4 Perfomante for sale as the moment. Seems like a good combo.

Service record check is a given. You've got me curious though; please tell tails! It seems even with a full service history there's the issue of dubious dealer service centres that aren't up to scratch.

Offline 916senna

• 300kph+ club

• Drives: Remote controlled battery powered toy
916senna: thanks for the info. This is the stuff I needed to know! Yep: I've seen a few SLG fitted with standard (still alcantara covered) seats around - like the green LP570-4 Perfomante for sale as the moment. Seems like a good combo.

Service record check is a given. You've got me curious though; please tell tails! It seems even with a full service history there's the issue of dubious dealer service centres that aren't up to scratch.
The carbon shell seats are anything but comfortable, especially if your taller.
The SLG exhaust note is way better than the Non SLG versions.
The LP560 and the 570SLG are significantly better than the older 160 cars.
You need to test drive them all.
PM sent