Offline jamesatfish

Now I know many of you avoid rugrats like the plague, but for those who didn't pull out in time - does anyone have any experience with child seats fitted to the front of their 2-seater?

The 2 Gallardos I owned were perfect in this regard - just turn the key in the glovebox to disable the front passenger airbags, fit the rear seat strap to the mounting point for a 6 point harness and away you go.

I've been looking at a few McLaren 12C Spiders to replace my Balboni, and although McLarens overseas are all equipped with smart airbag sensors that deactivate or reduce the intensity of the deployment when children are seated in the front the local dealer tells me that our Aussie spec cars don't have this option.

Same issue it seems with the Audi R8 - the airbag is easily deactivated for child seat use in US and UK cars, but over here Audi Australia don't give you that feature.

I've been getting bullshit about how it's an ADR requirement, but given the Gallardos all pass the same ADRs I can't accept that story.  I've also checked the laws here in the ACT - it was and still is perfectly legal for a child to ride in a suitable car seat in the front row of a car with only 1 row of seats.

So my question - does anyone have real-world experience here in the Nanny State with child seats in a 2 seater other than a Lambo?

Offline mtarone

I've been researching and can't find any current 2 seaters that allow you to disable the pax airbag so I'm also interested.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Isn't there some law about having child seats in the front?????

I know there is a sub-clause somewhere about the Airbag............I'll see what I can dig up.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

This is from Vic Roads:

Can a restraint go in the front seat of a van or utility that has only one row of seats?

If your vehicle has only one row of seats (e.g. a ute), you can use a child restraint or booster seat in the front seat. The seat needs to have a seat belt to be used with the restraint and an anchorage point if the restraint has a top tether strap (some booster seats come without a top tether).

Restraint fitting stations may be able to install an anchorage point if you don't have one in your vehicle.

Airbags

Rear facing child restraints (typically for newborn babies and infants up to approximately 12 months of age) cannot be used in the front seat if there is a passenger airbag.

Forward facing child restraints and booster seats can be used if there is an airbag. However, it is recommended that the seat be moved back as far as possible away from the airbag to avoid the possibility of suffocation if the airbag is deployed.

Offline jamesatfish

From the ACT Government website:

It is legal to fit a child restraint with an in-built harness in the front of a car, van or utility that has only one row or seats provided there is a seatbelt and a child restraint anchorage point available. If there is a passenger airbag in the seating position occupied by the child, you must not use a rearward facing infant restraint.
Children aged from 4 years to under 7 years may travel in a booster seat and a lap/sash seatbelt in the front of a car, van or utility that has only one row of seats. Most booster seats do not require an anchorage point because they do not have a top tether strap. However, if you are using a booster seat that is fitted with a top tether strap, it must be secured to an anchorage point.

I checked this before using a child seat in my first Gallardo, when my eldest daughter was about 9 months old and had moved to a forward-facing seat.

Offline Horse

• Hung like Einstein

Now I know many of you avoid rugrats like the plague, but for those who didn't pull out in time - does anyone have any experience with child seats fitted to the front of their 2-seater?

The 2 Gallardos I owned were perfect in this regard - just turn the key in the glovebox to disable the front passenger airbags, fit the rear seat strap to the mounting point for a 6 point harness and away you go.

I've been looking at a few McLaren 12C Spiders to replace my Balboni, and although McLarens overseas are all equipped with smart airbag sensors that deactivate or reduce the intensity of the deployment when children are seated in the front the local dealer tells me that our Aussie spec cars don't have this option.

Same issue it seems with the Audi R8 - the airbag is easily deactivated for child seat use in US and UK cars, but over here Audi Australia don't give you that feature.

I've been getting bullshit about how it's an ADR requirement, but given the Gallardos all pass the same ADRs I can't accept that story.  I've also checked the laws here in the ACT - it was and still is perfectly legal for a child to ride in a suitable car seat in the front row of a car with only 1 row of seats.

So my question - does anyone have real-world experience here in the Nanny State with child seats in a 2 seater other than a Lambo?

PSW on here has some experience with this as he had his 430 fitted with an airbag off switch by the dealer. From memory it was 10 grand! i think all the bits came from OS as it was fitted in other markets.
Why such a long face?

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

From the ACT Government website:

I checked this before using a child seat in my first Gallardo, when my eldest daughter was about 9 months old and had moved to a forward-facing seat.

If you use a booster seat with the top strap, you do need an ADR'ed anchor point. 

I had to put them in my Mondial when I had it complied......   :o

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

PSW on here has some experience with this as he had his 430 fitted with an airbag off switch by the dealer. From memory it was 10 grand! i think all the bits came from OS as it was fitted in other markets.

You don't need to turn the airbag off for front facing seats anyway...........

Offline jamesatfish

You don't need to turn the airbag off for front facing seats anyway...........

I'm seeing that line of thought as I dig more into this situation.  I always thought that it was recommended to disable the front airbag even for front facing seats, as the force of the airbag deployment could be worse for small children than the force of the actual accident.

If that's not the case, then it's just a matter of getting a top tether point installed and problem solved.  I'll check if the 12C has a harness mounting point that would do the trick - I can't imagine getting my local NRMA 'child safe' mechanic to drill into the carbon tub would be a good idea...

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

I can't imagine getting my local NRMA 'child safe' mechanic to drill into the carbon tub would be a good idea...

Hahaha - I don't see a problem......  :p

The Mondial had a mounting point I could use(not sure what it was original used for), it was off center but they accepted it.............