Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

I'm seeing that line of thought as I dig more into this situation.  I always thought that it was recommended to disable the front airbag even for front facing seats, as the force of the airbag deployment could be worse for small children than the force of the actual accident.

If that's not the case, then it's just a matter of getting a top tether point installed and problem solved.  I'll check if the 12C has a harness mounting point that would do the trick - I can't imagine getting my local NRMA 'child safe' mechanic to drill into the carbon tub would be a good idea...

It's recommended not to put children in the front seat but if you only have fronts seats then what else are you going to do. I had an argument with a cop over this once, cos he couldn't get me and was found out as a fool - his last words to me was go get a Minivan.

Anyway, I think under one set of ADR's, it states you can't have Airbag disable switches, then under the next one it said you can, or something like that. I would have to ask one of the engineers as there are no clear answers I can get doing a quick search.

But it seems that it's uniform across the states..........

Offline jamesatfish

It's recommended not to put children in the front seat but if you only have fronts seats then what else are you going to do.

My take has always been that the front seat of the Gallardo is a million times safer than the back seat of the Toyota Corona my parents drove me around in as a kid, especially for a rear-end or side-impact accident.

Anyone know if a 12C comes with harness mounting points, or if they can be retrofitted easily?

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Anyone know if a 12C comes with harness mounting points, or if they can be retrofitted easily?

I can't help with the 12c........  :p

It may be possible to use an existing seat belt mounting point and using an adapter bracket to fit the mounting point. But you are going to have to ask an expert on that one...........

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
I don't make a habit of taking the boys (5yrs & 7yrs) in the Ferraris; but when I do I use a booster seat and the standard seat belt. Trying to  fit the car with airbag deactivation would almost certainly be an expensive nightmare like PSW went through on his Scud.
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the passenger seat should be moved as far back on the rails as possible.

Offline ACP

• Lives in a Metro Tangerine

• Drives: McLaren
I had 12 years of kids seats in my Elises and Exiges no worries. I think I got pulled over once, may have been a checkpoint. Never got questioned about the seat though.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the passenger seat should be moved as far back on the rails as possible.

Don't you read my posts any more........    :p

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

Don't you read my posts any more........    :p

Thought I did; but obviously not  :doh:

Offline alvchua

• Drives: Old junks
FWIW - Children and airbags don't go well together - the airbags may save their life but at what risk - high incidence of ocular injuries including retinal detachment.
Forgiveness is easier to achieve than permission!

Offline jamesatfish

FWIW - Children and airbags don't go well together - the airbags may save their life but at what risk - high incidence of ocular injuries including retinal detachment.

At what age do you think the airbags should be re-activated for a child in a normal seat (ie over 7 years old)?

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

Hence I don't make a habit of taking mine in the Ferraris and as a result they don't get used much :(