Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
At what age do you think the airbags should be re-activated for a child in a normal seat (ie over 7 years old)?

It is size and weight dependant I believe. Something like 45kg and 140cm height (?) as I recall.

Offline alvchua

• Drives: Old junks
At what age do you think the airbags should be re-activated for a child in a normal seat (ie over 7 years old)?
Not so much age but height of the child should IMO be at least 135cm. The SA laws say age 7 is ok but I've seen 7 year olds who are petite.
Forgiveness is easier to achieve than permission!

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.
Buy them crash helmets for the joyrides, they'll think they're cool as well.

Then post the photo of them in their booster seat in the car with a full face helmet on and see if it goes more viral than 360c's, F50 baby bonnet shot.

Take the pic in the drivers seat. :)

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Hmmmmm, interesting info. It would appear that in Australia air bag disable switches are not really supposed to be fitted. The only time they can be fitted is if the vehicle meets ADR69 and 73  with the air bag disabled. A lot of vehicles don't. It could be a breach by fitting one to a car and could leave you open to huge problems if something were to happen, like you forgot to turn it back on and had an accident causing death or injury.

This is one reason why they have the warning sticker in cars saying do not fit rear facing seats into the front seat.

It is also a requirement that if you do put a child seat in the front, it should have a factory mount point. Australian Utes have these fitted. Retrofitting a mount into a vehicle which does not have one from factory "may" need to be done by an engineer or be approved by an engineer...........

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

I had a look at the Tesla tonight out of interest. You can deactivate the front passenger airbag.

Offline jim501

• Idiot Seeking Village

• Name: Cam
As mentioned in the other thread, I'm investigating getting an anchor fitted in the alfa spider. It had the airbag deactivation so TMR just sas a qualified engineer has to fit it

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

I had a look at the Tesla tonight out of interest. You can deactivate the front passenger airbag.

What anchor points are installed out of interest??? I can't find any data on the ADRs that dictate whether the disable system can stay or has to be taken out.

It's funny cos someone else I know is asking the same question about an MX5. It actually has the anchor point installed behind the passenger seat but the airbag disable has been disabled. All the wiring and extra module is still there but the switch has been removed and blanked off. And has the warning label on the sun visor.

As mentioned in the other thread, I'm investigating getting an anchor fitted in the alfa spider. It had the airbag deactivation so TMR just sas a qualified engineer has to fit it

This makes me laugh: when the Mondial had to have the anchor fitted, it had to have a plate that was a certain thickness and size(75mmx75mm from memory or variations for example 100mmx50mm). It wasn't the Mondial that had an original mount point looking at the paperwork like I mentioned earlier, must have been another car I did. Anyhoo, the engineer gave strict instructions on how it was to be fitted.

But in my old Fairlane that didn't have any mounting points or seat belts in the back, they just let me drill a hole through the parcel shelf and wack in a bolt............ 

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

The only anchor point is the two in the boot where you would attach child seats on the rear seats. Nothing at all behind the front passenger seat, I read the manual to confirm I wasn't missing something. No ISO attachments in front passenger seat either  :scratchchin:

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

The only anchor point is the two in the boot where you would attach child seats on the rear seats. Nothing at all behind the front passenger seat, I read the manual to confirm I wasn't missing something. No ISO attachments in front passenger seat either  :scratchchin:

Then why the need for an Airbag disable switch I wonder?????

Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

Then why the need for an Airbag disable switch I wonder?????
So when you are caring a cake in the front seat and have a crash the airbag does not go off damaging the cake. Simple.