Offline 98octane

We'll hear a lot of people saying it's tough and courageous, but necessary.  Some say its unfair (e.g. cuts to Newstart/Youth Allowance); others, that it doesn't cut enough (e.g. no superannuation tax exemption cuts).  Labor says its full of broken promises.  But even Fairfax commentators are reluctantly saying it's not bad (Ross Gittins gave it 7/10).

I think the best parts are the huge public infrastructure investments (particularly given lower mining capex), the medical research fund and reducing middle-class welfare (e.g. Family Tax Benefit B).

Thoughts?

http://budget.gov.au/2014-15/index.htm

Infrastructure summary paper: http://budget.gov.au/2014-15/content/glossy/infrastructure/download/Infrastructure.pdf

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

This is the budget we had to have and there's a lot more to do.
However, the dickheads in the Senate will make it hard if not impossible to get some of these things through, Clive Palmer who is amusing himself with politics at present and his dysfunctional poo throwing mates will block things just because they can.

Offline lukep6470

Has anyone seen how it will impact claimable car expenses? 

I'm hearing things like novated leases will be prorated and only critical items to keep the car on the road will be claimable (No more Recaro seats and sports exhausts).

Offline S4Simon

• The Rubber King of Adelaide

• Drives: Something a metre high
Would have been nice to see a cull put in place in the Boganville areas of our capital cities.  Would save billions in welfare payments annually and also cut crime and drug use. 

Other than that, this years budget was painless for me.
I've been rich & I've been poor...

Rich is better

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Would have been nice to see a cull put in place in the Boganville areas of our capital cities.  Would save billions in welfare payments annually and also cut crime and drug use. 

Other than that, this years budget was painless for me.

Like duck season ?  :D

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A burgandy car.
Life goes on no matter what happens in any budget. Being over 50 Ive lived through a few of them, been upset at some decisions and in the end, never really been noticeably worse off because of them. Unless you're on welfare and incapable of earning more money there's never anything to complain about. If you need more money go earn it. Even on welfare you're allowed to earn extra money before it effects your payments.

Offline Brenton

• 300kph+ club
  • DJ's like a mad ...........

• Drives: Yes
Life goes on no matter what happens in any budget. Being over 50 Ive lived through a few of them, been upset at some decisions and in the end, never really been noticeably worse off because of them. Unless you're on welfare and incapable of earning more money there's never anything to complain about. If you need more money go earn it. Even on welfare you're allowed to earn extra money before it effects your payments.

Great attitude

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

(No more Recaro seats and sports exhausts).

I think thats only fair and should be that way from day dot.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

The other way of course is to become a Pollie..........    :p