Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

You suggested 50%, that could be right more or less.

It will severely damage the oil industry, hard to imagine how hard it would hit them.

They will have time to adjust but then again they could try to control Tesla and others ???

EV's will put oil and traditional consumer vehicles in the shade within 10 years.

Come on then - what do you consider "in the shade" then????

Don't avoid the question.......

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Come on then - what do you consider "in the shade" then????

Don't avoid the question.......

Severely impacted and running a bad second.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Online looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
For the record, I dream of the day EV's represent 50% of new car sales or more, I think it would be awesome to see so many EV's around, especially if they're powered from home PV & Storage systems.

Most people don't realise that Tesla have a pyrotechnic fuse that is activated in a big enough accident. They don't sell those to anyone because they don't want written off cars repaired. A salvage battery may well be useless as a result.

I believe you're referring to the 6amp wiring they install between the cells to render the battery useless if broken? or is this something else?

Either way, I saw a video some months ago of a guy getting an old battery like this and litterally disassembing it cell by cell to rebuild it. so perhaps they may not work if you plug them in, but if you pull them down to their component cells and rewire they might do?

It probably won't apply here but from what I have been reading everyone over there is saying that Telsa will have a hard time competing with the Chevy Bolt. The Bolt will come in well under $30k and first customer orders to be delivered by Christmas.

Problem is the Bolt is like the other EV's in the crowd. It tries to look different and quirky and in turn ends up being ugly like the Leaf, I3, etc.  People just want a normal looking car that's an EV. Like the Golf E, or 500E.

I dont know why manufacturers insist on trying to be 'funky' with their designs :(

Plus the infrastructure has a long way to go as well.

While I dont disagree with a lot of your points Mondi, the infrastructure one is probably moot for 80-90% of people, as if these things are chargeable at home there is no need for 'electricity stations' most people can quite happily live with 100-200km range for 99.9% of their needs which will charge overnight at home.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater

I believe you're referring to the 6amp wiring they install between the cells to render the battery useless if broken? or is this something else?

Either way, I saw a video some months ago of a guy getting an old battery like this and litterally disassembing it cell by cell to rebuild it. so perhaps they may not work if you plug them in, but if you pull them down to their component cells and rewire they might do?

I got the impression that there is a Pyro fuse between the car itself and the battery pack; but it may well be the case that there are also fuses between various cells in the pack itself as you say.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Problem is the Bolt is like the other EV's in the crowd. It tries to look different and quirky and in turn ends up being ugly like the Leaf, I3, etc.  People just want a normal looking car that's an EV. Like the Golf E, or 500E.

I dont know why manufacturers insist on trying to be 'funky' with their designs :(

I read an article that referred to this some time ago, can't remember where I read it now but I remember it saying that manufactures had these "funky" designs for their EVs to separate them from their "normal" stock.

While I dont disagree with a lot of your points Mondi, the infrastructure one is probably moot for 80-90% of people, as if these things are chargeable at home there is no need for 'electricity stations' most people can quite happily live with 100-200km range for 99.9% of their needs which will charge overnight at home.

Due to the industry that I work in, I come across a lot of Greeky types. A lot of them love the idea of EVs for various reasons.

One thing that stands out though is there is still a lot of people who have fears of an EV running out of charge on them. Most people I talk to say that in their ICE car they know there is a servo around most corners so they can freely go for a drive without worrying about fuel. Where as in an EV they don't feel as free. Yeah I know.........

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

I got the impression that there is a Pyro fuse between the car itself and the battery pack; but it may well be the case that there are also fuses between various cells in the pack itself as you say.

Yeah they have internal fusible links that disable the battery, the battery needs to go back to be "fixed" if these are broken.

It's a safety feature to stop the batteries from causing fires or exploding.   

Online looney

• Drives: VW Beetle

One thing that stands out though is there is still a lot of people who have fears of an EV running out of charge on them. Most people I talk to say that in their ICE car they know there is a servo around most corners so they can freely go for a drive without worrying about fuel. Where as in an EV they don't feel as free. Yeah I know.........

yeah I do think that range anxiety is something that would happen with an EV. if we're talking range of say 100km that could run out on a day if you have unexpected errands etc. so i dont discount it at all. but if they can get to 200km genuine range I think for 80-90% of people the range anxiety would be non existent.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

yeah I do think that range anxiety is something that would happen with an EV. if we're talking range of say 100km that could run out on a day if you have unexpected errands etc. so i dont discount it at all. but if they can get to 200km genuine range I think for 80-90% of people the range anxiety would be non existent.

That's the second problem I hear from people, for some reason that don't quite understand how it all works and believe the battery could just go flat in an instant. I think they must use mobile phones as a gauge or something.......and a lot of them don't or can't believe you can get 200 or 300 kms out of an EV. I guess a lot more education is needed here........