Offline Spyder AL

Hi All.

I'm new to the forum and i'm seeking some help.

I have a 2004 Maserati Spyder which I have owned for almost 2 years and it has done 40,000km ( I have done 6000km ) and is need of a new clutch.

I rang Maserati Brisbane and was quoted $8,300 and was told that it would last any were from 2000km ( reversing up hill ) to 15,000km's ( normal driving ).

Looking at costs in USA for the same thing is around $3000 so I am kind of shocked at these costs.

Can anyone suggest some were else that can carryout the rebuild at a cheaper cost.

Regards
AL

Offline dkabab

queue Goober.... im guessing its the same part as a fiat... $500 installed :mischief:

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

About 5 or 6k from memory but that was a while ago should be able to source one second hand.

Offline adam01

Never 2nd hand with these

Try the Brisbane indi who has a good reputation for the F cars & does these

Also u should change out more than the clutch given the labour cost of stripping the Gbox - most other items are minor in cost compared

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
I drove a few 4200's when they were new, they slipped the clutch terribly in reverse/first up any decent incline. If your garage involved much of that sort of thing you would wear it out way before 2000km's. Driven carefully under normal circumstances you should get more than 50,000km's.

Offline goober

• AE's Tame Race Driver
  • I did not lie. I was strategically misinforming u

• Drives: no friend of the left
  • Name: Buddy Miles
queue Goober.... im guessing its the same part as a fiat... $500 installed :mischief:
the expensive part is the thrust bearing and pressure plate

cross check with lambo, ferrari and db9

if you double pull back the left paddle from neutral to go into reverse the clutch grabs from low revs, in normal moode the clutch is fully locked with no slippage after 1850 rpm

basically its a shit system, shop around and you should get 40,000km out of a clutch if you drive using common sense
Meeting women on the Internet? Remember, the more similarities u “magically” have, & the more she agrees with u, the fucking crazier she is.

Offline bbb

I paid 6k for a clutch with a service at an Indy for a Gransport, but that was about 7 years ago so not sure how things have changed as they get older.

40-50k km's from a clutch is definitely possible as others have said if treated right. I learnt the hard way after nearly destroying a clutch on a friends driveway.

I would....

- Not reverse uphills
- Avoid stop-and-go traffic, when its unavoidable then allow the car ahead to leave enough distance for me to accelerate properly
- Always drive in Sport mode

I did about 30k km's in it without a problem after that.

I know the new owner put a DBW throttle adapter in it, supposed to help reduce wear but have no experience first hand with them.

http://www.formuladynamics.com/products/4200_dbwem/4200_dbwem.php

Offline adam01

yes for the FD DBW unit ^

also get the clutch P.I.S reset; setting-factory setting is around 5.1,  lower the number for better clutch engagement

Offline goober

• AE's Tame Race Driver
  • I did not lie. I was strategically misinforming u

• Drives: no friend of the left
  • Name: Buddy Miles
thats not too dear
https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/maserati/gt/maserati-spyder-2002/clutch-and-controls-valid-for-f1/196335-maserati-coupe-spider-clutch-assembly.html

try cross referencing the part number, masershiterati nor ferrari make clutches, they as a manufacturer go out to the lowest tender (like most of their parts.....they make great engines the rest gets the nod from some eastern euro shithole)

its not a huge job to replace one, if you have any strife with the F1 system, yell out, I've spent countless hours studying the operation and the system is the same as a fiat punto, isuzu light truck to audi, lambo etc.....its a magnetti marelli shit storm at best.

The day they went to getrag and got the double clutch gearbox most of the reliability issues with masershiterati and ferrari were solved.....except for the electrics.....again, wog made.
Meeting women on the Internet? Remember, the more similarities u “magically” have, & the more she agrees with u, the fucking crazier she is.