Offline scud

• 300kph+ club
  • Rocket man

Doesn't do a lot for me I am afraid.
+1.

No point to have a RS and this.

Offline looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
Yeah I'm confused isn't it just a gt3 or RS with no wing??

Manual gearbox :)

no massive "look at me" wing

Want want want

Offline JBO

• Drives: Something that doesn't meet my aspirations...yet...

Want want want

+1
This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you. - C Montgomery Burns.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Offline Joel

no massive "look at me" wing

Want want want

Yeah still not overly impressed, I thought the wing would have some aerodynamic factor and not just looks?

I understand its the name the whole 911R thing but not for me.
Hopefully it is as good as you guys think it will be and someone ends up getting one

Offline looney

Yeah still not overly impressed, I thought the wing would have some aerodynamic factor and not just looks?

Yeah but if you want a road car with a gt3 feel this seems to be the ticket.  The only thing i never liked about my gt3 (and mine was very much track prepped by the previous owner) was the big wing.  I'm sure it made 1/10th of stuff all difference on the road yet made me feel like a 18 year old ricer who needed downforce yo. 

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I'm sure it made 1/10th of stuff all difference on the road yet made me feel like a 18 year old ricer who needed downforce yo.

Does a wing make a difference at highway speeds?  I guess a little.

I'm thinking the 911R will have a moving spoiler a la Carrera at least. Otherwise it will be wayward on the autobahn.

Offline looney

The RS wing probably does a little bit at highway speed because it is quite big. I'm sure there's technical specs out there somewhere.

A ducktail would be nice like the sport classic had. But as you say it probably has active aero which really is a good middle ground.  Less ostentatious but functional at speed

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater

I'm thinking the 911R will have a moving spoiler a la Carrera at least. Otherwise it will be wayward on the autobahn.

A wing is pretty much cosmetic at our speed limits.
Take the massive rear wing on my 360 Michelotto as an example. Way, way bigger than anything ever fitted to a road car. At 160kmh plus when you take your foot off the gas the drag slows the car so much that it is like braking fairly hard in a road car. The faster you go from there the more the braking effect.
Lift off at 100kmh and it coasts along almost freely. Now imagine a wing with perhaps 25% of the surface area and you would feel nothing at 100kmh.

Offline tdc911

The 911 R should be all about weight saving and driving experience. The original 911 R was before the first wing was introduced to the 911 so not having a fixed rear wing is pointless. Really don't understand this new 911 R, I think Porsche has really missed the mark on what I have seen so far.

IMHO, the 911 R should be a road legal 991 GT3 R - that would be the closer concept to the original. It should be absolutely balls-out ballistic, not this watered-down offering.