Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

A wing is pretty much cosmetic at our speed limits.
Take the massive rear wing on my 360 Michelotto as an example. Way, way bigger than anything ever fitted to a road car. At 160kmh plus when you take your foot off the gas the drag slows the car so much that it is like braking fairly hard in a road car. The faster you go from there the more the braking effect.
Lift off at 100kmh and it coasts along almost freely. Now imagine a wing with perhaps 25% of the surface area and you would feel nothing at 100kmh.

Negligible downforce at the speed limit but still strangely useful in Tassie. :o

Interesting interview on RS aero here.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/features/car-culture/a-guided-tour-of-the-2015-porsche-911-gt3-rs-by-the-boss/

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
Negligible downforce at the speed limit but still strangely useful in Tassie. :o

Bloody odd that, I can't get my head around it :p

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Bloody odd that, I can't get my head around it :p

The air is more viscous down there I guess - being at the bottom of the universe and everything. :confused: :P

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
The air is more viscous down there I guess - being at the bottom of the universe and everything. :confused: :P

Well it does get pretty cold and wet down there. You might be right !

Offline Condor Man

• Is it a Bird?? Well, sort of, Yes.... 300kph+ club
  • Plastic Surgeon

• Drives: A car
IMO - this thing is going to have to look very retro to spark my interest.

If it ends up looking like a GTS then it can go whistle Dixie for $500K+
May the Horse be with you....

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

IMO - this thing is going to have to look very retro to spark my interest.

If it ends up looking like a GTS then it can go whistle Dixie for $500K+

Porsche doesn't often disappoint.

Offline Condor Man

• Plastic Surgeon

Porsche doesn't often disappoint.

Not quite.

The Sport classic was a stunning looking unit in period fashion however the bloody thing had a basic Carrera S engine and was $500K+.

That is a disappointment in my mind.

Then they did the 50 Year Anniversary which was cool again and the price was right, but the engine was Carrera S or you could get the X50 upgrade for an extra $20K.

In the 911R I want to see retro stripes, fuchs wheels, a duck tail and bucket houndstooth seats. This with a Manual Gearbox and a GT3 engine with rear aero will be something to savour for a long time!

Offline tdc911

Not quite.

The Sport classic was a stunning looking unit in period fashion however the bloody thing had a basic Carrera S engine and was $500K+.

Then they did the 50 Year Anniversary which was cool again and the price was right, but the engine was Carrera S or you could get the X50 upgrade for an extra $20K.

In the 911R I want to see retro stripes, fuchs wheels, a duck tail and bucket houndstooth seats. This with a Manual Gearbox and a GT3 engine with rear aero will be something to savour for a long time!

Yes, they have done some pretty awful special / limited editions. Millennium Edition is probably my least favourite.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Not quite.

Fair point. I'd forgotten about those.

That's exactly right. I think I've worked it out. The standard car will come with GT3 wheels, no duck tail, and standard leather trim. Then you go to the configurator and all the good retro bits are there - at extra coin. Brilliant! :D

Offline Condor Man

• Plastic Surgeon

Fair point. I'd forgotten about those.

That's exactly right. I think I've worked it out. The standard car will come with GT3 wheels, no duck tail, and standard leather trim. Then you go to the configurator and all the good retro bits are there - at extra coin. Brilliant! :D

As long as it is available on the config then I will be happy.