Online Fil-Ski

• Drives: 993TT
I'm looking for a convertible that I can throw my two kids into the back and let the hair down. Been looking at 996 and 997 Cabs. I've always liked the SL500 and I have found one with 4 seats which was a rare option

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Mercedes-Benz-SL500-1996/SSE-AD-4682185

Anyone own one?

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter
I'm looking for a convertible that I can throw my two kids into the back and let the hair down. Been looking at 996 and 997 Cabs. I've always liked the SL500 and I have found one with 4 seats which was a rare option

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Mercedes-Benz-SL500-1996/SSE-AD-4682185

Anyone own one?

I've only ever heard about the roof mechanism being a very expensive repair exercise, but otherwise never heard anything negative. Surely this one is hugely overpriced though, no?
I love my car. Buy your own

Online Fil-Ski

• Drives: 993TT
I've only ever heard about the roof mechanism being a very expensive repair exercise, but otherwise never heard anything negative. Surely this one is hugely overpriced though, no?
It's a 96 model Australian delivered with service history and low KM.
You can get 7 owner Western Sydney suburbs cars for $20k or less.
I think good ones will become collectible one day. Prices are going up.

Offline jim501

• Idiot Seeking Village

• Name: Cam
Second Aircon's comment, my old man's 98 SL has had pretty much ongoing roof issues for the last 5-7 years. Probably would have been cheaper to have just replaced the entire thing.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

It's a 96 model Australian delivered with service history and low KM.
You can get 7 owner Western Sydney suburbs cars for $20k or less.
I think good ones will become collectible one day. Prices are going up.

I'd agree with this,  it's a very nice example and if kept in good nick you should be able to get your money back or even do a ltitle better.

The roof can be a bugger as stated. But since this has been looked after and low kms it could be ok. If the roof does play up, patching it up don't work, would need a complete over haul. The reason why it's expensive is the time to pull it all down and rebuild it.

Offline bbb

I own a 97 SL500 in white and have the panoramic roof as well. 96-98 were apparently the best years with the 5-speed and before Chrysler got involved - just what I've read not from first hand knowledge as I've only ever had a 97.

Have had it a few years and only took the hardtop off once to see what the soft-top was like - it was literally brand new. I guess being a Hong Kong car the roof would never have been taken off.
One of the hydraulics for the roof was leaking though which is a common issue, and there is a number of them around the car for the roof. I rarely drive mine so haven't bothered fixing that as I like the hardtop.

I spoke with a dealer who has sold a lot of them over the years he said he just sold a 92 (i think) with high 100's on it for about 30k - I was surprised by that. He said I will get more than I paid for mine as well.

That one for sale looks nice, low KM's too.

Offline M500

I had a 96 one in green with black leather for around 6-months back in the early 2000's. was a lovely car to own and the only issue I had was a dicky starter motor, other than that it was an absolute pleasure