Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

Ok fast in a straight line, who gives a root ...under 3 seconds it's academic......what counts is how they handle in the bends, that's where the difference is important.

IMHO, the porsche would be more nimble around the corners.

Offline looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
IMHO, the porsche would be more nimble around the corners.

i guess it depends what sort of corners we're talking about.

tight twisty mountain road like we drove when you came up here, Porsche all the way, big sweepers and motorways more likely a slight edge to the Aventador due to its width.

either way not taking anything away from the Aventador, its just amazing how Porsche for so many years have always just managed to stay at the top or close to it in performance terms, with greater reliability, more consistency, and lower price than all of the competitors. it's an achievement nobody can belittle, even those that aren't Porsche fans.

Offline BenC

• Bus Driver

• Drives: cars
  • Name: Ben
Dick swinging going on here  :rolleyes:

What difference will a professional driver make down the quarter when it is an auto and has launch control.
What difference does the grip level have ?? Both are on the same bit of road
Elevation. My ass. If that was a problem it would affect the turbo more as it is a "turbo"

And do you realy believe everything an "Italian" car company puts on paper  :doh:

The reaction looks about identical so I think if was a fair race.   But who really gives a shit about straight line drags. Not me

Rant over please continue.
Sorry but I'm confused by the aggression in your post.  I respect both cars, own neither and have no interest in swinging of any dicks. ??

My point only is that the video isn't representative of the actual performance.  If your point is that variables are irrelevant and launch control renders the driver moot then why can I link a video of a standard Aventador doing the 1/4 in 10.6 seconds, and back it up with Motor Trends official test mirroring the same?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKfdX2R3wkc
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/exotic/1201_2012_lamborghini_aventador_lp_700_4_test/

Heres a video on the same track, possibly of the same car going half a second faster, at 10.9
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL5_3O4H8R8

This is all in addition of course to the published figures from Lamborghini itself, which match the above evidence.

Regarding elevation, turbochargers are atmosphere compensators.  The turbo helps make up for the reduction in air pressure.  Whilst both NA and turbo cars will lose power with the reduction in air pressure, a turbo will lose far less.  Bandimere Speedway  is 5800' elevation.  NA cars tend to lose 10-12 mph.  Turbo cars generally lose only 3-5mph compared to their sea level trap speeds.

So, settle down a tad, I'm not out to get anyone.  The video is cool, both cars are great, i'd happily own either one.  But its important to identify that the video is not representative of the true performance of the cars.  All things being equal, the lambo will beat the turbo S down the 1/4 mile.  No doubt at all that the Porsche would murder the Lambo around a circuit either.

:)

edit : And just for a bit of info that may interest you, track prep does matter.  The Aventador launch system requires quite a bit of longitudinal tyre slip to be effective, due to the AWD system.   Skip to 1:23 of this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTMrCS5vYZs

And you'll see what i'm talking about.  The reason for this lies in the way the engine delivers its torque.  If the launch was executed at lower RPM, the tyres wouldn't spin.  This would provide more grip however the engine would 'bog down', revving too far from peak torque (5500 rpm) to properly accelerate the car and resulting in an overall slower launch!

If the track has been prepped with VHT or similar product, then as the car launches, the tyres are unable to spin due increased grip and as you see in that video the car still 'bogs'. 

So a grippier track can actually slow you down, in some limited circumstances.

The more you know :)

Offline BenC

• Bus Driver

i guess it depends what sort of corners we're talking about.

tight twisty mountain road like we drove when you came up here, Porsche all the way, big sweepers and motorways more likely a slight edge to the Aventador due to its width.

either way not taking anything away from the Aventador, its just amazing how Porsche for so many years have always just managed to stay at the top or close to it in performance terms, with greater reliability, more consistency, and lower price than all of the competitors. it's an achievement nobody can belittle, even those that aren't Porsche fans.
Agreed, amazing cars.

Offline Brenton

• 300kph+ club
  • DJ's like a mad ...........

• Drives: Yes
That's cool ben.

But run on the same day with the same conditions the turbo needs none of those excuses or explanations.

I  look at the vids tonight. Cheers for posting them I am sure they will be interesting.

Out of curiosity how accurate is the turbo to its official time?

Offline BenC

• Bus Driver

But run on the same day with the same conditions the turbo needs none of those excuses or explanations.

Out of curiosity how accurate is the turbo to its official time?
Well it kind of does thought doesn't it?  Without a special set of circumstances then it won't win.

Porsche was only 0.1 off its published figures, so very close.  Tested back to back by Motor Trend, the Aventador came out on top, in matching conditions.  Thats all in the report which I linked.

The way I look at it, the Lambo is good at some things, the Porsche at other things.  Both great cars, very capable in the right hands.

Offline Brenton

• 300kph+ club
  • DJ's like a mad ...........

• Drives: Yes
All cool ben.

We know the lambo looks the best cruising the esplanade.  :p

Offline BenC

• Bus Driver

Offline RMV

• A Country Member

Dick swinging going on here  :rolleyes:

What difference will a professional driver make down the quarter when it is an auto and has launch control.
What difference does the grip level have ?? Both are on the same bit of road
Elevation. My ass. If that was a problem it would affect the turbo more as it is a "turbo"

And do you realy believe everything an "Italian" car company puts on paper  :doh:

The reaction looks about identical so I think if was a fair race.   But who really gives a shit about straight line drags. Not me

Rant over please continue.

Agreed.  The Lambo had its arse handed to it fair and square.  No obvious evidence of driver error apparent from that video.

Offline BenC

• Bus Driver

You should probably read the rest of the thread before posting.