Offline Cannonballrun.info

• Drives: 2004 Mercedes CLK 320 Advantgard
  • Name: Russ
Hi Guys,

It's been awhile. We wanted to let you know of an opportunity for a run in May 2014 from anywhere in Australia to the big rock in the middle of that same country.

We are looking for sponsorship so we sent an email to the ABC to follow the experience.

This is what I sent to the ABC.

We were only allowed to have 6 paragraphs and was told “Make us sit up and take notice, we get 1000’s of stories submitted every year”

"The Cannonball Run held in Darwin 1994 had a tragedy where 2 Japanese Dentists driving an exotic Ferrari F40 slammed into 2 officials where all in the accident died. It was the first legal Cannonball Run anywhere in the world and to this day the only legal Cannonball Run anywhere in the world.

This coming May is the 20th anniversary of the tragic event. This coming May we are inviting 100's of exotic cars that already make the pilgrimage every year from all over Australia to attend and see the human side of the event. Where they normally see a memorial for a car race, we intend to show the group of exotic car enthusiasts a memorial for human life.

This year for the first time we have the parents of one of the race officials closing the chapter that took their son away from them. Gerry & Carol Pritchard have never been to the memorial site set up to stand as a memorial for their son. This year we are raising sponsorship money to give the parents the trip of a life time from Queensland to Adelaide where they will get on the Ghan Train and arrive at the memorial site near Alice Springs. After this they'll go to their sons grave site in Darwin where 20 years ago the police allowed non registered cars on the road in order to be in the funeral procession.

The Pritchard's received little to no compensation after legal fees, and there is even talk of a politician up in the Northern Territory pushing to have the event again.

With so many questions still unanswered, we think that following the Pritchard's on their journey would make a real Australian Story, a story worth telling. The story’s got fast cars, an accident, a court case, loads of media attention, and a famous former race car driver that promoted the event and would love for story to go away.

We have picked Australia Story because we believe the ABC to have the highest amount of integrity of all the networks. You can find out more at www.cannonballrun.info The ABC even ran two shows back in 1994 on the 7.30 Report.

Please consider this story as we would love for the ABC to take this on. If not Australian Story then who... We cant think of anyone better.

Russ Tuff
www.cannonballrun.info"

As we have said in the email... we would love you all to be there and witness this with us. and we are looking for some sponsorship to get the Pritchard's there on the day. (costing are being worked out in the next day or so by their travel agent) If you know of any sponsor that may be able to help out... were listening.

I would be very interested to get your feedback, any comments, and any ideas of who to contact for sponsorship money.

We trust we'll meet as many of you as we can on the 24th of May 2014.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I'm interested in going, but I'm always interested in going to the NT. But most exotic car owners aren't interested in leaving their own postcode. How will you get hundreds to do the trip when almost none go there now? Maybe if we widen the definition to include Nissans and Holdens it might happen.

You talk of sponsorship being needed to get the Pritchards there. Don't they just need an airfare and accommodation? That's the least of your expenses for the whole exercise.

Anyway, I like the idea and I wish you good luck with it.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Russ, I reckon you should celebrate the approaching 20 year reunion by giving your website an overhaul.  There's more stuff out there now that should add to your records including the videos and pics from this thread.

http://aussieexotics.com/forum/topicseen/events/cannonball-run-1994-2598.msg520242.html#new

The accident and the tragic impact on the families will be the only part of the history that Australian Story will be interested in.

I'm interested in going, but I'm always interested in going to the NT. But most exotic car owners aren't interested in leaving their own postcode. How will you get hundreds to do the trip when almost none go there now? Maybe if we widen the definition to include Nissans and Holdens it might happen.

You talk of sponsorship being needed to get the Pritchards there. Don't they just need an airfare and accommodation? That's the least of your expenses for the whole exercise.

Anyway, I like the idea and I wish you good luck with it.

Thanks mhh,

From the pictures I have seen on this forum, there are a heap with either the Olgas or Ayers Rock in the back ground. Also a few years ago I saw a video on the website that showed cars getting trucked to the outback and then driving some distance near the rock. That's where I got the idea that some already went.

But yeah... I suppose my choice of words wasn't too flash when I said "exotic". I said that to entice the media, for the normal person I am looking for anyone that has put a zorst on their car that has a note. Any car enthusiast that drives a Datsun 1600 is invited... I think with the odd Lambo, Porsche, and Ferrari in the mix..... the rest will pad it our nicely. After all there were more than just exotics in the run.

I spoke to Charlie that drove the Mini about a year ago... he might be a bit old to come along now but hey... a couple of minis would be nice as well.

On your 'flights and accommodation is all I'll need..." I'm afraid it's a bit more than that to where the memorial is. They are elderly pensioners, you cant just say "Here's a plane ticket mate cya there" They have been in a form of depression for 20 years, they barely leave home. I enticed them to go back to the Northern Territory by saying "If you had the trip of a life time planned, and you could close the chapter on your son at the same time, what would you do?" Bare in mind they would not even entertain the idea when I first floated this 6 years ago.

I got that they would only fly Virgin... (Not Qantas or Jetstar... obviously they have something against these two)

They would love to ride on the Ghan train from Adelaide. (This was my ticket to get them out of the house and to visit the site) on the train they cant jump in a bunk at night time so ... only a platinum suite has a double bed they can sleep on.

Next is they said they would go to the site but they didn't want any media. (This took some conversations)

Then they have seen pictures of guys in exotic cars standing on the actual memorial like they have just conquered something with fists in the air like a Bathurst winner. They have it that people don't respect that's where the son got crushed between cars and died, where's the respect... more conversations required.

When they get off the train they will need accommodation and a hire car to get to the site... More money

Now we get back on the train and we head to Darwin where they visit their sons actual grave site... more accommodation and another hire car and more money for the train, then a flight back to Queensland, then a taxi home... did I mention they would need a taxi to the airport in the first place... nope... well throw that in as well.

mhh, we are talking something close to $10K when you throw food on all of that and I don't know about you but... with out all that happening nothing will happen... so for me that's "the worry"

Thanks for commenting though I am sure others had the same thoughts and this has given me the chance to answer those concerns.

Russ, I reckon you should celebrate the approaching 20 year reunion by giving your website an overhaul.  There's more stuff out there now that should add to your records including the videos and pics from this thread.

http://aussieexotics.com/forum/topicseen/events/cannonball-run-1994-2598.msg520242.html#new

The accident and the tragic impact on the families will be the only part of the history that Australian Story will be interested in.

mhh,

Great to hear from you again, Okay this one... I have spent literally hundred of hours on the website making it factual. I don't have the time anymore to upkeep the website. I have made exactly $50.00 in advertising money... so yeah... I get that it might not be the latest but... I do have a lot of information on the site... I am not a website designer, so if there was someone out there wanting to overhaul the site for nothing I'm up for that. I have paid for the domain name registration and domain name hosting for years, and done all the work... sitting down and overhauling a website doesn't do it for me. It would be a big job....

I know the link you are pointing to, I contributed to that link.

Thanks again.

Just got the quote for the train alone. $9436.00 and I need a 10% deposit by the 19th of October. (The rest is due by April.)

Flights, accommodation, food, and hire cars to go.

I just want to make it happen.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Sounds like you need more than $10K then. What's your total budget for the Pritchards involvement?  What is size of deposit required?  I still think that it is enough to fly the Pritchards there.  The idea that they need a train trip thrown in is a big ask for a sponsor.  But assuming the costs could be met somehow, how keen are they really?  Not keen on media, a bit pissed off at the disrespect shown at the memorial (fair enough too), elderly and infirm, fussy on airline choice - there's a lot that could go wrong here.  Having said that, the idea you have pitched to the ABC is a brilliant one for an Australian Story - did they reply?  I'm visualising a brief memorial service at the site, maybe the families from Japan involved too. Cars coming from all over.  It would be something to see.  Who were the sponsors of the Cannonball Run itself?  Maybe they would help financially to bring the Pritchards back.

Regarding who might drive to the Centre for the anniversary, I guess it should be open to anyone who wants to, no matter what car they have.  The pics you saw of exotics at the Rock were a small bunch of us here, some of whom might want to return but not enough to build an event around.  Guys, anyone interested?  I know I am. I think it would need to be a drive there and back event, not a truck-in situation.  This forum would be a good place to organise it - or a Facebook event perhaps.  I'd been thinking about a 10 year anniversary of the first Exotics in the Outback event in 2005, but this might be a better event to commemorate.  The return to the memorial needs to be compelling enough to stand on its own in case the Pritchards can't make it - having them there would be a bonus.

Anyone here able to help Russ with his website?  It would be a shame not to renovate it.  It is an important record of a unique event in Australia's motorsport history.

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

I deleted my post thinking it may offend people. We all don't have the same family values yet to this appears to be capitalizing on the generosity of others (IMHO) and should the media be involved they could potentially have a field day and let's not forget the potential Facebook a twitter rants.

My post was something like this:

These people haven't paid respect to the place their son died all those years ago yet they now want the Rolls Eoyce treatment? Round world tickets will be cheaper

As for comments of various driving groups disrespecting the memorial, I was there a few years ago with the AE group, there was no disrespect but a quiet acknowledgement of the frailty of life when our passion for expensive fast cars knocks on the door of our mortality.

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

On the ' they would only fly Virgin' comment. Qantas is the only airline that flys to Alice Spring and a likely sponsor.