Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Offline barra

Thanks Mondi.

There are two cars I'm trying to secure. One is standard. 

The other however has a engine swap from another manufacturer.  It appears standard otherwise.
I'm not too sure how this should be approached?
I would most likely source an original engine to convert it back to standard before attempting rego.  Am I going to have big dramas bringing it in with the other engine in place?  Should I plan on having the engine removed and import it as a shell?

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Thanks Mondi.

There are two cars I'm trying to secure. One is standard. 

The other however has a engine swap from another manufacturer.  It appears standard otherwise.
I'm not too sure how this should be approached?
I would most likely source an original engine to convert it back to standard before attempting rego.  Am I going to have big dramas bringing it in with the other engine in place?  Should I plan on having the engine removed and import it as a shell?

Have a Captain Cook at this:

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/imports/import_options/pre1989scheme.aspx

If parts of a vehicle with a date of manufacture before 1 January 1989 have been assembled into another vehicle, the date of manufacture is taken to be the date on which this new vehicle was first driven. If this conversion (into a different automotive product, such as a replica car, a drag racing car or a hot rod) happened after 1 January 1989, the vehicle does not qualify under the Pre-1989 Scheme.

Offline barra

Soooo

The car and engine are both early and mid 80's.  I would assume the conversion was done after 1989 but who could tell?
So I have to apply for import approval, which requires proof of ownership or receipt from deposit.  So I have to commit to the vehicle before finding out if I can import it?

What if I get the engine pulled and import as a shell, with intentions to return to stock and register here?

Offline M500

Where are you based?

I bought a car from an Ex-Pat South African in VIC recently and he seems to import SA classics for a living. I'm sure he'd help out for a fee.

PM me for details.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Soooo

The car and engine are both early and mid 80's.  I would assume the conversion was done after 1989 but who could tell?
So I have to apply for import approval, which requires proof of ownership or receipt from deposit.  So I have to commit to the vehicle before finding out if I can import it?

What if I get the engine pulled and import as a shell, with intentions to return to stock and register here?

Just ditch the engine, shouldn't have any problems with the import then. All you need to do is deal with your local rego department after the car gets here......

Offline barra