Offline Stu

Hi, I am considering a personal import of my Cayman R (2011) from the UK which I have owned for 2 years.  I've read the previous conversations on this forum and spoken to a few local individuals / dealers, and had a wide range of answers on resale value.  I'm aware dealers aren't keen on imports and I'd have to sell privately.

A roughly equivalent car (2011 plate, manual, 18,000kms) is on carsales today for 120k AUD - does anyone have a view or experience of the potential discount which a UK imported Cayman R might be subject to?  I want to avoid a situation where either I can't sell the car in Aus or have to take a big hit (say 40k AUD) compared to a Aus model.

Thanks

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.
Hi, I am considering a personal import of my Cayman R (2011) from the UK which I have owned for 2 years.  I've read the previous conversations on this forum and spoken to a few local individuals / dealers, and had a wide range of answers on resale value.  I'm aware dealers aren't keen on imports and I'd have to sell privately.

A roughly equivalent car (2011 plate, manual, 18,000kms) is on carsales today for 120k AUD - does anyone have a view or experience of the potential discount which a UK imported Cayman R might be subject to?  I want to avoid a situation where either I can't sell the car in Aus or have to take a big hit (say 40k AUD) compared to a Aus model.

Thanks

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/imports/import_options/pis.aspx Just in case you havent seen the rules.

I think a Cayman R is rare enough and desired enough in Australia that you wont take a huge hit on it. If someone got it for $10-15k under Australian delivered prices they will feel like they got a great buy. They are hard to find in Australia and people want them so I think you have a good car to bring with you.

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
It's always difficult with Porsches though, older imports do much better than recent model porsche imports in my experience.

I know of an importer who brought in 997 turbo, gt3 road car  gt2 from the UK as personal imports. He couldn't move them at any price.  Back then gt2 were +$350k for a used example, no nibbles at $20k less than Aussie asking, $50k discount few nibbles but all avoided the car once found out import. Car sold for under $200k while others on market were +$350k.

So in that case more than $150k discount over others on the market... and there is only ever a hand full of gt2's ever on the market.

Cayman shouldn't fare as bad as there are more buyers at ~$100k mark than at $300k, but I don't think anyone can answer your question directly as I haven't seen it done before with a cayman. I know boxters get absolutely smashed as soon as people find out they are imports and offer them nothing for them so I'm hedging towards quite a decent discount over Aus delivered.

Sorry I can't answer your question definitively but this is one of those things where you are basically being the pioneer. If you are bringing it to make money then I wouldn't bother, but if you are going to drive it around for a few years then what have you got to loose? Buy an Aus delivered one once you get to Aus and you'll probably pay more for a used one than you buy it new in the UK lol
Good luck with it though.
Enjoying Life!!!!

Offline IExperiment

As a buyer I would buy it only if I get a discount more than 20K over the Oz version. KM not miles and I will get it check making sure is all good. I guess as a buyer you wanted to get a bargain due to overseas model. My choice would be PDK over manual though as I am not old school :)

Offline Alpinem3e92

What has been said above is fair and I reckon reality re values.

Just my 2c, if your car is specced very highly ie has PCCB then it may be worthwhile. I say that cause it is a relatively high valued item for buyers in the used car market, I mean it is a $20k option in Aus, just look at the blue R that's for sale, dreaming on his price but if the right person comes along he'll get what he wants for it. If your car is a vanilla car and you don't plan on keeping it for a few years don't bother IMO.

Good luck with your decisions.

Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David
We all differ
I was in the market for a Cayman r before I bought my gt3.
I would have wanted manual, and secondhand would prefer steel brakes, I doubt a seller makes their money back on pccb.
I think the exclusive green color is worth 5k, others hate it.

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
We all differ
I was in the market for a Cayman r before I bought my gt3.
I would have wanted manual, and secondhand would prefer steel brakes, I doubt a seller makes their money back on pccb.
I think the exclusive green color is worth 5k, others hate it.

👍 definately agree on the colour
Enjoying Life!!!!

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

👍 definately agree on the colour

What other colours did the R come in?

Green is OK for me - not worth more, not worth less. I guess it marks the car out as an R though.

Are they really worth more than $100K though?  I'd rather a 981 I reckon.

Offline Alpinem3e92

What other colours did the R come in?

Green is OK for me - not worth more, not worth less. I guess it marks the car out as an R though.

Are they really worth more than $100K though?  I'd rather a 981 I reckon.

In the end Peridot green was a killer (porsche Brisbane ripped there's to get rid of it), they couldn't move them. There were no specific colours as far as I know, I do know of black/white/blue/red and peridot green. Most were just ordered out of Germany on spec to dealers unsold from what I recall back when.

Steelies are a better track option given the cost of a ceramic disk if you get a stone or something in the callipers and you need to replace one.

FYI, they retailed at about $165k plus porsche options, such is black painted wheels, PCCB, XENONS, Bose, crests, alcan wheel, sports chrono, porsche sports exhaust and console plus PDK.

Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David
I know of red white blue and black ones in Australia
The blue is great, others too vanilla for me, might as well be silver