Offline Stu

Hi, I am considering a personal import of my Cayman R (2011) from the UK which I have owned for 2 years.  I've read the previous conversations on this forum and spoken to a few local individuals / dealers, and had a wide range of answers on resale value.  I'm aware dealers aren't keen on imports and I'd have to sell privately.

A roughly equivalent car (2011 plate, manual, 18,000kms) is on carsales today for 120k AUD - does anyone have a view or experience of the potential discount which a UK imported Cayman R might be subject to?  I want to avoid a situation where either I can't sell the car in Aus or have to take a big hit (say 40k AUD) compared to a Aus model.

Thanks

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.
Hi, I am considering a personal import of my Cayman R (2011) from the UK which I have owned for 2 years.  I've read the previous conversations on this forum and spoken to a few local individuals / dealers, and had a wide range of answers on resale value.  I'm aware dealers aren't keen on imports and I'd have to sell privately.

A roughly equivalent car (2011 plate, manual, 18,000kms) is on carsales today for 120k AUD - does anyone have a view or experience of the potential discount which a UK imported Cayman R might be subject to?  I want to avoid a situation where either I can't sell the car in Aus or have to take a big hit (say 40k AUD) compared to a Aus model.

Thanks

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/imports/import_options/pis.aspx Just in case you havent seen the rules.

I think a Cayman R is rare enough and desired enough in Australia that you wont take a huge hit on it. If someone got it for $10-15k under Australian delivered prices they will feel like they got a great buy. They are hard to find in Australia and people want them so I think you have a good car to bring with you.

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
It's always difficult with Porsches though, older imports do much better than recent model porsche imports in my experience.

I know of an importer who brought in 997 turbo, gt3 road car  gt2 from the UK as personal imports. He couldn't move them at any price.  Back then gt2 were +$350k for a used example, no nibbles at $20k less than Aussie asking, $50k discount few nibbles but all avoided the car once found out import. Car sold for under $200k while others on market were +$350k.

So in that case more than $150k discount over others on the market... and there is only ever a hand full of gt2's ever on the market.

Cayman shouldn't fare as bad as there are more buyers at ~$100k mark than at $300k, but I don't think anyone can answer your question directly as I haven't seen it done before with a cayman. I know boxters get absolutely smashed as soon as people find out they are imports and offer them nothing for them so I'm hedging towards quite a decent discount over Aus delivered.

Sorry I can't answer your question definitively but this is one of those things where you are basically being the pioneer. If you are bringing it to make money then I wouldn't bother, but if you are going to drive it around for a few years then what have you got to loose? Buy an Aus delivered one once you get to Aus and you'll probably pay more for a used one than you buy it new in the UK lol
Good luck with it though.
You can say I'm wrong, but my garage doesn't agree with that statement!!!

Offline IExperiment

As a buyer I would buy it only if I get a discount more than 20K over the Oz version. KM not miles and I will get it check making sure is all good. I guess as a buyer you wanted to get a bargain due to overseas model. My choice would be PDK over manual though as I am not old school :)

Offline Alpinem3e92

What has been said above is fair and I reckon reality re values.

Just my 2c, if your car is specced very highly ie has PCCB then it may be worthwhile. I say that cause it is a relatively high valued item for buyers in the used car market, I mean it is a $20k option in Aus, just look at the blue R that's for sale, dreaming on his price but if the right person comes along he'll get what he wants for it. If your car is a vanilla car and you don't plan on keeping it for a few years don't bother IMO.

Good luck with your decisions.

Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David
We all differ
I was in the market for a Cayman r before I bought my gt3.
I would have wanted manual, and secondhand would prefer steel brakes, I doubt a seller makes their money back on pccb.
I think the exclusive green color is worth 5k, others hate it.

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
We all differ
I was in the market for a Cayman r before I bought my gt3.
I would have wanted manual, and secondhand would prefer steel brakes, I doubt a seller makes their money back on pccb.
I think the exclusive green color is worth 5k, others hate it.

👍 definately agree on the colour
You can say I'm wrong, but my garage doesn't agree with that statement!!!

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

👍 definately agree on the colour

What other colours did the R come in?

Green is OK for me - not worth more, not worth less. I guess it marks the car out as an R though.

Are they really worth more than $100K though?  I'd rather a 981 I reckon.

Offline Alpinem3e92

What other colours did the R come in?

Green is OK for me - not worth more, not worth less. I guess it marks the car out as an R though.

Are they really worth more than $100K though?  I'd rather a 981 I reckon.

In the end Peridot green was a killer (porsche Brisbane ripped there's to get rid of it), they couldn't move them. There were no specific colours as far as I know, I do know of black/white/blue/red and peridot green. Most were just ordered out of Germany on spec to dealers unsold from what I recall back when.

Steelies are a better track option given the cost of a ceramic disk if you get a stone or something in the callipers and you need to replace one.

FYI, they retailed at about $165k plus porsche options, such is black painted wheels, PCCB, XENONS, Bose, crests, alcan wheel, sports chrono, porsche sports exhaust and console plus PDK.

Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David
I know of red white blue and black ones in Australia
The blue is great, others too vanilla for me, might as well be silver