Offline TomE

I think you missed the crucial point that you can't perform even the most basic services without access to Ferraris computers in Italy. It is all online to the factory now so can you imagine Ferrari letting Phil or anyone else have access?
There will be no independent taking over because they can't do jack without Ferrari letting them in.
Ask Phil how much he can do on current model cars..... SFA.

What you are saying is that every Australian Ferrari dealership will collude to not touch these cars. Is that legal? Are they tight knit enough for them all to be prepared to knock back work in what could become a sizable market?
"There's too many self-Indulgent wieners in this city with too much bloody money! Now, if I was driving a 1967 275 GTB four-cam... "

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

I had to get a new key for the Speciale under warranty. The bullshit I had to go through did my head in.

That's the sort of thing that puts me off owning one........that and the fact that you are at the mercy of the dealer for everything.

I guess the software and servicing stuff will become available once the 458 is the old model........

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
What you are saying is that every Australian Ferrari dealership will collude to not touch these cars. Is that legal? Are they tight knit enough for them all to be prepared to knock back work in what could become a sizable market?

They will collude because it is in their interests to make sure that it doesn't become a sizeable market.
Illegal of course; but prove it in a court of law.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

That's the sort of thing that puts me off owning one........that and the fact that you are at the mercy of the dealer for everything.

I guess the software and servicing stuff will become available once the 458 is the old model........

No it won't become available because it is all online. No SD5 diagnostic computer in the dealership as I understand it. Plug car into the net, call up the factory and ask the computer there to diagnose it. Answer comes back from the factory if the electronic hand shake between dealer and factory is ok.

There is a reason that you don't see any 430's or newer at independent shops. They can't do jack on them.

Offline TomE

So where does this end up?

My guess is that Aussie prices will become marginally lower so to the average punter the cost benefit is not enough to go through the headaches of importing a car. Taxes will take care of that.

Aussies will have access to cars not sold here or cars which come fully loaded with options but they won't end up being 'cheap'

The winners will be the guys who buy a car in UK etc , use it for a months driving holiday then send it home.
Saving themselves the cost of rentals, risk of dealing with rental companies holding bonds and getting the benefits of bonding with the car in Europe.
"There's too many self-Indulgent wieners in this city with too much bloody money! Now, if I was driving a 1967 275 GTB four-cam... "

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

No it won't become available because it is all online. No SD5 diagnostic computer in the dealership as I understand it. Plug car into the net, call up the factory and ask the computer there to diagnose it. Answer comes back from the factory if the electronic hand shake between dealer and factory is ok.

There is a reason that you don't see any 430's or newer at independent shops. They can't do jack on them.

Well that sux, how am I supposed to do my own servicing and stuff???????   :p

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

So where does this end up.

My guess is that Aussie prices will become marginally lower so to the average punter the cost benefit is not enough to go through the headaches of importing a car. Taxes will take care of that.

Aussies will have access to cars not sold here or cars which come fully loaded with options but they won't end up being 'cheap'

The winners will be the guys who buy a car in UK etc , use it for a months driving holiday then send it home.
Saving themselves the cost of rentals, risk of dealing with rental companies holding bonds and getting the benefits of bonding with the car in Europe.

Yeah - exactly.........

Offline jamesatfish

Fingers crossed this change goes through - not for the cost savings (which will probably be bigger all) but bringing in cars you can't buy here otherwise.

I'll be lining up to bring in a new VW Beetle Cabrio - my wife loves them but I had to buy her  the 1.4L coupe as that's all VW brings to Oz. I'll swap that in a heartbeat for the UK spec Cabrio with the same engine I had tuned to 320kW in my old Golf R.

Of course I'll also be very interested to see how the law works for cars like the Atom and the UK road-legal Formula Ford.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

So where does this end up?

People will still import them, especially if they think that they can make a buck out of it by doing all the hard leg work and making it easier for the punter. After sales care isn't their problem is it ?

The local prices will have to come down to a level that is competitive with world market prices. There is too much competition from other marques and punters will simply boycott Ferrari and move on. Once they are gone it will be hard to win them back. The world is different now.

Offline Neru

Where are they getting their prices from???? A Golf is no where near $23,000 in Tokyo, more like around 3,000,000Yen which is about $AUS32K...............

even the BMW 328i, its near top of the range. Base model 3 series is around 55k