Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Chief Muppet Wrangler @ Drugs.R.Us Badlands Sector

• Drives: Slowly and carefully
That was exactly my point...........

But remember, it's 12 months and under 4000km as I understand it so it's a second hand car.

It would be the same as me buying your 458 now, surely. But it's just coming in from another country.

If you could bring in a 458 they would give you exactly the same treatment.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

I can see that dealers or brokers will import cars and resell them and carry a warranty.

If you buy from an importer or broker they could be made to carry the warranty but if you do it yourself, I reckon you are going to be out on your own!!!

What's a new Golf worth in the UK, 17,000 pounds or something??? How can they be $23,000 in Tokyo, sounds too cheap to me. But if that's the case then you should be able to get it here for around $28k to $30k before compliancing(if needed) and rego etc. So that could be worth it, even if you have to give up warranty, etc, etc.

But take the BMW 328i example, if it's $55k in the UK then to import one will cost you around $71k give or take. Not making sense to me....... 

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club

You just need one to break ranks and pick up the national servicing of imported cars.

Probably the one whose hurting the most from lost car sales.

I think you missed the crucial point that you can't perform even the most basic services without access to Ferraris computers in Italy. It is all online to the factory now so can you imagine Ferrari letting Phil or anyone else have access?
There will be no independent taking over because they can't do jack without Ferrari letting them in.
Ask Phil how much he can do on current model cars..... SFA.

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Electric everything
  • Name: Peter
I don't think it will be the servicing of the grey imports as there are always the happy Phil's to service them. What will be the problem for people is warranty issues. Try taking your new privately imported car to the dealer and ask them to fix something under warranty and they will say go have the ask the importer to fix it.

I can see that dealers or brokers will import cars and resell them and carry a warranty.

I still think Ferrari will cover the warranty...and it's no skin off the nose of the dealer...they get paid from warranty work from Ferrari.
I love my car. Buy your own

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

What's a new Golf worth in the UK, 17,000 pounds or something??? How can they be $23,000 in Tokyo, sounds too cheap to me.

Where are they getting their prices from???? A Golf is no where near $23,000 in Tokyo, more like around 3,000,000Yen which is about $AUS32K...............

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A burgandy car.
It's the press, never let the facts get in the way of the storey.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

It's the press, never let the facts get in the way of the storey.

OK, let's take a base model Golf in Japan, 2,500,000 Yen. That's $AUS27K. Still going to be around $34k to $35k to import it.......

Still not that cheap really. What they need to do is piss off a lot of the taxes..........

Offline dkabab

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club

ok.. lets talk more interesting cars...

Won't effect more interesting cars. They are either LHD Ubercars or older classics, neither category will be eligible.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club

I still think Ferrari will cover the warranty...and it's no skin off the nose of the dealer...they get paid from warranty work from Ferrari.

No money in warranty work for dealers, ask them!

Ferrari may offer token coverage for imports; but in reality it is likely to be SFA. You should see how silly they can get with warranty work on new Oz delivered cars now. I had to get a new key for the Speciale under warranty. The bullshit I had to go through did my head in.