Offline NBTBRV8

The final ruling isn't due until until June is it?

It is a real shame that they haven't opened up the used car market, but I still have my doubts that this proposed legislation will get up as the FCAI will lobby hard to protect their patch (much like the Pharmacy Guild, sorry 360c :) )

I would have thought a more palatable option would have been to open up the used car market after 3 years, this way dealers still get to protect their prices and the average punter can get what they want at most likely a cheaper rate and still have a newish car.  However this will mean that the Aus market will see cars depreciate much faster than they currently do, ala the UK market where things bomb very quickly.

Offline looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
However this will mean that the Aus market will see cars depreciate much faster than they currently do, ala the UK market where things bomb very quickly.

I think Australia has one of the lowest depreciation on cars in the world, It seems people place some intrinsic value on their used car that's unreasonable here in Australia, and somehow the market sustains it.

I think it's because Australia is a nation of tight arses.  but who can blame us when we're one of the most expensive countries in the world I guess, every cent counts to most people.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Australia might be expensive but it's also perhaps the wealthiest country in the world. Used car values are probably helped by excellent garaging standards and well developed dealer and repairs sectors.

Offline Alpine

Fingers crossed this change goes through - not for the cost savings (which will probably be bigger all) but bringing in cars you can't buy here otherwise.

I'll be lining up to bring in a new VW Beetle Cabrio - my wife loves them but I had to buy her  the 1.4L coupe as that's all VW brings to Oz. I'll swap that in a heartbeat for the UK spec Cabrio with the same engine I had tuned to 320kW in my old Golf R.

Of course I'll also be very interested to see how the law works for cars like the Atom and the UK road-legal Formula Ford.

I'm with you on that one James, VAG are bastards. My Mrs wants a two door hatch, as in Golf R or S3, and my son wants a new polo GTi hatch in a two door also, you can't buy them new in Aus anymore.

I offered the dealer an extra $5k to get me one, he laughed (not at my offer, just that it won't happen).

Offline schmik325

Offline Steve.

• Drives: AMG.
  • Name: Steve

Offline andecorp

• Biggest daddy in the park 300kph+ club
  • No idea how to make her happy!

• Drives: too many cars for one ass
Would this allow me to import a XJ220 that has never been registered (technically a new car, so less than 1 year old) that has demo km on it (less than 4,000km) ?
You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot.

Offline NBTBRV8

Would this allow me to import a XJ220 that has never been registered (technically a new car, so less than 1 year old) that has demo km on it (less than 4,000km) ?

The legislation hasn't been finalised, presumably it would be from manufacture date though.

Offline Fil-Ski

• Name: Scuderia
I'd say that would be unlikely.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Sorry big fella - not a chance...........   :(