Offline TEZZA

• Those Frenchies seek him everywhere

• Drives: No matter what it is I am still lusting after something better.
Guys I am bewildered by the choice in cleaning products. But I am painfully aware that if you for just a few minutes apply the wrong thing you can do thousands of dollars damage.

I am wanting to get my car looking like the F430 in this video.

http://youtu.be/SjnZAo81WbU

I have looked at several videos on Youtube. There is one that I cannot find again where they foam wash the car (F430) with the engine cover open and spray the foam all over the engine. This scared the shit out of me as I thought about all those electrical plugs getting wet. But you do need to clean this area as these engines do get dusty and if I was to do this I would cover the engine itself with waterproof plastic so that I could clean around it and then work on the engine in a different much more gentle approach.

I am aware not to use anything like truck wash in the engine bay as it strips all the gloss off everything.

There was another F430 Video where the guy cleaned everything (even the suspension) and it looked wild. He removed the muffler and polished it to a mirror finish. So I probably will do that as well as scrub all the inner guards, remove the wheels and clean them and polish them in and out. Comments on wheel cleaners would be appreciated but mine has Challenge wheels.

I watch Videos of idiots aggressively washing these cars with high pressure equipment hard on the gloss paint. Also people spraying all sorts of chemicals over things and all the surrounding areas without thinking of what the overspray may be doing.

I note the really savvy detailers put cloths around where they are working and use masking tape everywhere.

Some of the products I have seen that are interesting are

Menzerna Polish... but there seems to be little in the way of video demo's on what to use with what.
Zaino Z5 pro
Dodo Juice wax.... seems good but I think less hype would be good.
Auto Glym. Now this stuff gets good reviews
A product called CD2 instead of amourall
Griots Engine Bay dressing.

If you wash your car with a cloth and bucket and hose it off you are not in the same league as me. I am after comment from people who are a bit fanatical in this area like I am. I would appreciate comment on product and methods that have worked for you and maybe also some traps to be aware of.

:D

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
It's actually not that difficult to do a really good job once you know what you are doing and have all the right products and equipment.
One part of the secret is that you have to keep at it constantly rather than doing one big clean a year and a whole bunch of quick washes along the way.

It's a big topic, so briefly this is what I use:

HIGH PRESSURE CLEANER- I use a top end Karcher; but there are lots of different ones around that will work just fine. There is no problem using them in the engine bay or on the paint PROVIDING you use some common sense. Don't spray electrical connections or computers. Don't place the nozzle mm's away from the paint surface. Especially be careful using one on 3M stone chip film as it WILL tear a hole in it if you get too close to the surface.
I mostly use the pressure cleaner inside the wheel wells/wheels and underneath the car. Once or twice a year i remove the wheels and clean the suspension properly- normally after a Tassie tour of a couple of thousand km's. the rest of the time using the high pressure cleaner with wheels in situ does the job just fine. Hot tip- get yourself a long handled dish mop from the kitchen and use it to get inside the wheels while they are on the car. you should be able to clean the inner surface right the way around and also do the brake callipers on all sides with it.

CT33 Truck cleaner. Fantastic and safe product if used correctly. I never use it on paintwork; but use it in different dilutions for different applications. Inside the wheels and wheel wells and underneath the car is about a 10% dilution with water. In the engine bay it's weaker again. I have never had a problem with it stripping the finish or gloss off anything in probably 20 years of usage.

ENGINE DEGREASER- Be careful with these as some of them are strong enough to stain surfaces. Find one  that works and stick to it.

PLEXUS SPRAY- Use this on the 3M stone chip film to keep it shiny and reflective. Probably once a month is best; but no longer than 3 months on a daily driver. It is also a really good product to provide some shine on all the rubber and bits and bobs in the engine bay too. Spray on and buff off.

ARMOUR ALL- Be a bit careful as it's very oily, overly glossy and attracts dust like nothing else. I pretty much only use it on tyres myself.

WINDEX- I use this to clean all the glass.

LEATHER CLEANERS- I tend to use products that are used to clean motorcycle leathers. I then use hide foods of various descriptions; but don't really have a preference. Experiment and see what works for you.

CLAY BAR- No preference; but I use these to prepare the paint surface before I start with the polishing phase.

ORBITAL POLISHERS- I like the Rupes "Big foot" orbital polishers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo8eP-OfEAc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cAnevFwZeY

WAX- I think these come down to personal choice. There are lots of good ones out there, just experiment.

Offline theintelligent1

• Vodka is Just Unfinished Gin

• Drives: Miss Daisy
Some of the products I have seen that are interesting are

Menzerna Polish... but there seems to be little in the way of video demo's on what to use with what.
Zaino Z5 pro
Dodo Juice wax.... seems good but I think less hype would be good.
Auto Glym. Now this stuff gets good reviews
A product called CD2 instead of amourall
Griots Engine Bay dressing.

Im relatively addicted:

Snow Foam (a tonne of fun) use a cheapo Karcher and Foam Lance
Rinse
Two bucket method wash (Dodo Born to be mild or Chemical Guys Glossworkz)

Decontaminate:
Spray Iron X
Wash
Clay
Rinse/Wash

Polish & Sealants:
Polish - Menzerna - use a DAS6-PRO & paint thickness gauge
IPA wipedown
Prima Amigo Glaze
Menzerna Powerlock

For Engine Bay etc - use Degreaser and APC lots of agitation using brushes etc. then have back to black plastic stuff - i think Chem Guys

Edit: dont have a Ferrari or Lambo  :D

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

Im relatively addicted:

Snow Foam (a tonne of fun) use a cheapo Karcher and Foam Lance
Rinse
Two bucket method wash (Dodo Born to be mild or Chemical Guys Glossworkz)

Decontaminate:
Spray Iron X
Wash
Clay
Rinse/Wash

Polish & Sealants:
Polish - Menzerna - use a DAS6-PRO & paint thickness gauge
IPA wipedown
Prima Amigo Glaze
Menzerna Powerlock

For Engine Bay etc - use Degreaser and APC lots of agitation using brushes etc. then have back to black plastic stuff - i think Chem Guys

Edit: dont have a Ferrari or Lambo  :D

"Edit: dont have a Ferrari or Lambo  :D "

Who cares, post some pics of your handiwork :thumbsup:

Offline TEZZA

Offline theintelligent1

"Edit: dont have a Ferrari or Lambo  :D "

Who cares, post some pics of your handiwork :thumbsup:

haha the SL is due for a go round in the next few weeks - will post that one up.........just got to find the halogen lights......i know they are in storage somewhere......... :doh:

Tezza - i get 99% of my stuff from cleanyourcar in the uk.............

Offline TEZZA

Thanks guys

I was very sceptical of these foam applications.
I could not understand how just spraying some stuff on did anything.
But I have read a lot and watched many videos and I can see that you

1. Gently hose the car down
2. Spray foam over it and leave it be for 5 -10 mins
3. Hose that off
4. Re-apply foam and this time use a wash mitt (microfiber) and gently go over the whole car. Keep rinsing the mitt.
5. Hose that off
6. The car should now be "clean" enough to do the other things.

But I have seen this Iron X stuff used but cannot find it here. Is it some sort of neutraliser?

I see that the process is to get rid of all other product and contaminants so when you polish you are not grinding in other shit.

I think I will get an orbital polisher. I have a big electrical polisher that I use on my boat but it is just rotary and I think too aggressive for this work. What sort of polish pads and pad sequence do you use?

Leather cleaners frighten me as if they stuff up you will really be pissed off big time.

I use Plexus on my boat Flybridge clears and it is pretty good. I have just got some product (cannot remember the name) that is used on Helicopter Bubbles. It is a two bottle thing. A cleaner and a sealer and it is awesome. So may try that on the headlight covers and tail lights.

Offline theintelligent1

Thanks guys

I was very sceptical of these foam applications.
I could not understand how just spraying some stuff on did anything.
But I have read a lot and watched many videos and I can see that you

1. Gently hose the car down
2. Spray foam over it and leave it be for 5 -10 mins
3. Hose that off
4. Re-apply foam and this time use a wash mitt (microfiber) and gently go over the whole car. Keep rinsing the mitt.
5. Hose that off
6. The car should now be "clean" enough to do the other things.

But I have seen this Iron X stuff used but cannot find it here. Is it some sort of neutraliser?

I see that the process is to get rid of all other product and contaminants so when you polish you are not grinding in other shit.

I think I will get an orbital polisher. I have a big electrical polisher that I use on my boat but it is just rotary and I think too aggressive for this work. What sort of polish pads and pad sequence do you use?

I only ever foam as a precursor to a wash - or just as a touchless wash if want to do quick and the car is quite clean already.....but that is literally snow foam then rinse off......wouldnt use a mitt and just the foam......found a pic of the SL getting foamed.........

Iron X removes ferrous particles - helps decontaminate the paint.......

I use Hex Logic Pads - Generally these White - Polish, Black - Finish and Orange - Cutting have both 5.5" and 4" and use Menzerna Super Finish 4000, Power Finish 2500 and FG400

yeah unless you really know what you are doing (hence my DAS6-PRO) a rotary is danger will robinson

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

yeah unless you really know what you are doing a rotary is danger will robinson

In general yes I agree. You can do a lot of damage if you are not careful.

That's one of the reasons I went for the Rupes Big Foot orbital polisher. Watch the video link that I posted as it shows how these things work…….close to idiot proof which is perfect for me :p

Offline theintelligent1

In general yes I agree. You can do a lot of damage if you are not careful.

That's one of the reasons I went for the Rupes Big Foot orbital polisher. Watch the video link that I posted as it shows how these things work…….close to idiot proof which is perfect for me :p

yep totally agree......am definitely pro idiot proof things  ;).........DAs are perfect for that.......did the el cheapo DAS6-Pro option - the Rupes looks much less effort and nicer but couldnt justify it at the time was 6x the price for twice a year.........