Offline hummel

I was watching Highway Patrol (or whatever it's called) last night and it showed VicPlod lasering cars near Healesville while hiding in the bushes in camo gear. That's just sad. The cop refused to show the speeder the speed recorded on the gun. That's plain wrong. If I lived in Victoria, I'd be writing to my local member.

Approx 5 years ago I was passenger in an M3 up that with a good friend, came over the crest and got pinged at 150kmh+

They were setup on camp chairs off the side of the road and the Police 4wd was parked around the corner.

Funny thing is... he never did a fine or any sort of penalty.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Er, they have to show you the speed recorded on the gun if you deny you were speeding..............

I'd be taking that one to court!

The cop said they aren't required to show you the device if it impacts on the police operation. The guy disagreed  - like I would have - and took it to court. The court fined him a higher fine and gave him a longer suspension than the ticket. It made my blood boil just watching it.

Offline shack

• 300kph+ club
  • I am not here .....

The cop said they aren't required to show you the device if it impacts on the police operation. The guy disagreed  - like I would have - and took it to court. The court fined him a higher fine and gave him a longer suspension than the ticket. It made my blood boil just watching it.

I would have appealed!!

Could not care what it costs as there is a presumption of innocence which is being abused

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: TBA
  • Name: Peter
I would have appealed!!

Could not care what it costs as there is a presumption of innocence which is being abused

Ditto. More likely to win on appeal IME too.
I love my car. Buy your own

Offline B2

• Slowest Ferrari Owner

I would have appealed!!

Unfortunately you'll never win now mate, and that's whats wrong IMO.  It's their word against yours and they are sworn officers of the state.  I tried it once and it didn't work.  Wasn't speeding, was the front plate not fixed not long after buying the car and my argument was I had a RWC.  I wanted to argue that point.

$900 (legal fees) plus the fine plus a donation to the local hospital later, the lawyer explained to me I was never going to win.  Also got slugged 3 demerit points because it is very dangerous driving without a front number plate. :)

Offline Condor Man

• Is it a Bird?? Well, sort of, Yes.... 300kph+ club
  • Plastic Surgeon

• Drives: A car

Now my blood is boiling too!
May the Horse be with you....

Offline shack

• 300kph+ club
  • I am not here .....

Unfortunately you'll never win now mate, and that's whats wrong IMO.  It's their word against yours and they are sworn officers of the state.  I tried it once and it didn't work.  Wasn't speeding, was the front plate not fixed not long after buying the car and my argument was I had a RWC.  I wanted to argue that point.

$900 (legal fees) plus the fine plus a donation to the local hospital later, the lawyer explained to me I was never going to win.  Also got slugged 3 demerit points because it is very dangerous driving without a front number plate. :)

It's still not right. However luckily this time nothing happened. My only consolation is that these days I dont give a toss as there is Uber and kids to drive you around and soon my electric car will do that for me so who cares :)

In addition my insurance company is lenient if you lose your license so all in all "who gives".

Offline app

Ditto. More likely to win on appeal IME too.

On what basis?  It makes my blood boil too but I hear people say what's right and wrong all the time, I just wonder where does the law say cops have to show you?

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: TBA
  • Name: Peter
On what basis?  It makes my blood boil too but I hear people say what's right and wrong all the time, I just wonder where does the law say cops have to show you?

I was referring to having a better chance of winning on appeal.

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline Condor Man

• Is it a Bird?? Well, sort of, Yes.... 300kph+ club
  • Plastic Surgeon

• Drives: A car

On the basis that they actually didn't get your true speed.

Happens more than you think.
May the Horse be with you....